• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Critical Hits... good or bad?

Traken

First Post
Back in the day, with the Critical Hits preview it was said that a natural 20 is a critical, end of story.

Now, Critical Hits have changed a tad bit. A natural 20 is still an automatic hit, but it's only a critical if your overall attack would beat the defense you're attacking.

So basically, you can't have a level 1 person go up to Orcus and score a critical hit.

I can see where this is coming from, but I'm not sure if I like it. It either goes too far or not far enough.

Goes too far: Brings back another check on critical hits. Granted, it won't matter much unless facing things 20 levels above or below you, but it's still there.

Not far enough: Why would a natural 20 result in an automatic hit if you could never hope to hit the defense?

*shrug*

scadgrad

First Post
thumbs up

You forgot the bit about max damage vice double damage (or worse). It's streamlined, plays quickly, and is not as punitive to the PCs; I like it as is.

Traken

First Post
scadgrad said:
You forgot the bit about max damage vice double damage (or worse). It's streamlined, plays quickly, and is not as punitive to the PCs; I like it as is.
Ah, I didn't forget about it, I just thought that was self-explanatory by now. By "New," I meant changed since the preview.

Shroomy

Adventurer
This is the first that I've heard about this rule change and I quite like it. Its pretty much just a tweak to the 3.x rule that eliminates the confirmation roll.

psionotic

I love it. Reduces the swinginess of criticals, while also eliminates the oddities of earlier versions in which sometimes a character could never hit a target... except for when they critted (or threatened to). :6: / :6:

Obryn

Hero
I think it's great. It covers the situation the "confirmation roll" was expected to cover - that is, if you can only hit on a 20, it shouldn't necessarily be a critical hit.

I like pretty much everything about the new crits. Confirmation rolls are exciting, but so are natural 20's. Max damage is a good shorthand for double rolled damage.

-O

doseyclwn

First Post
Okay, lemme see if I got this straight. A nat 20 is still a hit, no matter what. BUT, it's only a crit if rolling a 20 would have hit the foe anyway, right?

Andur

First Post
Minion rules were suppose to take care of quite a bit of this, I think it will be fairly rare for either the PC's or the baddies to roll a 20 and not score a critical as long as everything is level appropirate.

What I hated about 2e was the fact that the only way Mr. Skeleton could hit an AC -5 was to crit, so you either took no damage or lotsa damage. 3e took a step in the right direction with the confirmation roll, but then it had the opposite effect for the PC's of "taking down the high" of rolling a 20. At least now the PC's will know pretty quick in the fight if they are able to crit or be critted, and a decent DM will make sure both can happen almost all the time...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads