D&D 5E New Capenna is releasing for Magic the Gathering... will it join D&D too?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

There's been a bit of cross-pollination with MTG and D&D over the past couple years, with Ravnica, Theros, and Strixhaven getting D&D books launched a little after their card releases. The newest MTG release is New Capenna, where fiends of various types have formed crime families in the once-angel ruled city of New Capenna. Heavily inspired by the 1920s gangs of New York and Chicago, this setting has a very specific genre in mind.

Now, is it likely that this setting serves as the setting for an upcoming book in 2022? My guess is likely "no" based on what we already know... but WotC loves to surprise us!

That said, this setting could prove good ground for a few new races (like rhinofolk?) and even some more urban-inspired subclasses. Feel free to discuss below your thoughts on New Capenna, and whether it has a future in D&D.

Out of the city there are tons of ruins from fallen Kingdoms to explore and pockets of Phyrexian Horror, and the city itself has various hidden places to act as dungeons.

Rhinox, Leonin reprint, somekind of Devil folk that aren't necessarily evil, various kinds of bird folk, Fairies, horned elves, Vampire (Dhampyr reprint), Cephilids (humaniod Octopus people), Orgers, more human like Angels, and Viashino are all possible races (did I leave any out?)

But if any set among sets being released this year, besides the Baldur Gate sets (FR is getting two related but different sets, one paper and one altered and expanded for Arena), get a D&D setting book it's most likely Dominaria, simply because it's the oldest, most iconic MtG setting, with the most lore, races, etc... and it's getting both a setting updating the setting this year, but a set that explores one of its most beloved time periods that has never been explore directly in a card set, Brother's War.

Don't get me wrong I prefer New Capenna, I'm loving the sound track, including the Riveteers and Obscura anthems and cards in the set, and while there are major problems with the story (like why are there Angels in the card set, when the Angels are supposed to be gone in the story), I think the setting has potential.

I will note that this is I believe the first none Forgotten Realms setting card sets (New Capenna set & it's Commander Deck set) to have the Bard creature type in it, including Kit Katanno whose an awesome Leonin singer is both a Druid and Bard.

There's been a bit of cross-pollination with MTG and D&D over the past couple years, with Ravnica, Theros, and Strixhaven getting D&D books launched a little after their card releases. The newest MTG release is New Capenna, where fiends of various types have formed crime families in the once-angel ruled city of New Capenna. Heavily inspired by the 1920s gangs of New York and Chicago, this setting has a very specific genre in mind.

Now, is it likely that this setting serves as the setting for an upcoming book in 2022? My guess is likely "no" based on what we already know... but WotC loves to surprise us!

That said, this setting could prove good ground for a few new races (like rhinofolk?) and even some more urban-inspired subclasses. Feel free to discuss below your thoughts on New Capenna, and whether it has a future in D&D.

It's basically three fantasy fantasy cities stacked on top of each other, on the bottom is Caldaria (which is inspired by Chicago, but in a very unflattering way as it doesn't get much sunlight so its artificially lit even during the day) largely run by the Riveteers.

Then there is the middle part run by the the Caberatti who control the entertainment industry and the politicians. This level is inspired by New York City.

Then the top High Park, is at the top with the best daylight, it's the nicest area, and I think it's split between the Maestros, Brokers, and Obscura. It's supposed to be inspired by Hollywood.

BTW I like the "Angel Juice" part of the video, very funny.

From what Ive seen the past couple of days it looks like a cool setting and I wouldnt mind roleplaying its take on fantasy-noir gangster

What "Family" are you? I'm leaning towards mostly Riveteers with a touch of Caberatti (I want to build a Historic Brawl Enchantress deck).

BTW the fact that the Riveteers Union is black mana instead of white mana is very off, given Unions are all about Solidarity. I get the red (red means of doing things and rebellious towards the general hierarchy of the city) and Green (includes not just Industry, but farmers and landscapers), but how does black mana make sense?

I wouldn't be too surprised. We are talking about a setting where characters don't walk in the street wearing heavy armours, and maybe there are firearms, but almost never heavy weapons. My suggestion is you could buy "cheap" bulletproof magic defenses, and firearms can't work in special magic effect areas but only the ones were attuned with those zones, and here only the owners could use it. Or there is a special curse about the firearms. When one is used to kill, there is a mystical link between the victim and the weapon. The corpse could be used to find the weapon, and with this the murderer. Of course there is magic to erasure that, but that is not cheap, and then it is only used by profesional hitmen.

An open door may be a characters from New-Capena becoming a dark lord in Ravenloft. Maybe the curse is firearms can't work very well against warriors who never use them.

New Capena is a mixture of fantasy and noir-punk. It could be adapted to the screen.

My suggestion is a mash-up version of an old Hasbro franchise.

1649914645909.png

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What "Family" are you? I'm leaning towards mostly Riveteers with a touch of Caberatti (I want to build a Historic Brawl Enchantress deck).

BTW the fact that the Riveteers Union is black mana instead of white mana is very off, given Unions are all about Solidarity. I get the red (red means of doing things and rebellious towards the general hierarchy of the city) and Green (includes not just Industry, but farmers and landscapers), but how does black mana make sense?
Yeah Riveteers and Caberatti are certainly attractive options, and Im really feeling the Brokers too - binding contracts and powered enforcers is enticing.

as to black mana for Riveteers I suppose if theyre going for an anarchist rebellion kind of vibe it might work (maybe a nod to a Jinx (Arcane) type)

Last edited:

Because the "generic" fantasy can be imitated easily by other companies or even by amateurs. The strategy is about a special brand. It is like the fashion companies selling an exclusive style.

Maybe Hasbro should talk with Warner for a crossover Gotham City/New Capena, at least to promote other members of the bat-family, for example Azrael. And also a crossover Harry Potter/Stryxhaven.

I wonder how would be an D&D adventure in New Capena where tielfings are the cool guys in the top of the wave, and the aasimars the "ugly little duckling".

Because the "generic" fantasy can be imitated easily by other companies or even by amateurs. The strategy is about a special brand. It is like the fashion companies selling an exclusive style.

Maybe Hasbro should talk with Warner for a crossover Gotham City/New Capena, at least to promote other members of the bat-family, for example Azrael. And also a crossover Harry Potter/Stryxhaven.

I wonder how would be an D&D adventure in New Capena where tielfings are the cool guys in the top of the wave, and the aasimars the "ugly little duckling".

New Capenna doesn't have fire arms, instead spellcasters make gun geastures and say bang. Not kidding. And they have a fantasy Tommy Gun like magic item that shoots out magical energy instead of bullets, and magical instruments that act as weapons.

Its a weird confluence of influences New Capenna, the 20's noir, gangster tropes, mtg colour pie (and shards), old and new Phyrexians, various fantasy races, and a weird religion that is basically like an alliance between Angels and Demons, and Dystopian ruins of more traditional Fantasy Kingdoms.

Remove ads