• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E New Berserker Power

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The character builder treats Berserkers as a barbarian and regardless of race you can choose Barbarian powers and I think that works fine.

Anyone know if that is Raw/Rai?

Larrin

Entropic Good
Many essential classes (and subsequent classes like the berserker which is more post-essentials) are written in such a way to imply that you should chose from the listed powers, but they allow for you to actually take from any class power from any book (see Heroes of the Fallen Lands, page 57 "Other sources" sidebar for RAW statement of this). A berserker choosing PHB2 barbarian powers is legal RAW, but loses out because it can't rage and will have half (or all...) its at-will throw it into a fury as they are primal, likewise PHB2 barbarian can take berserker powers, but loses out because it can't Fury (this effects the at-wills the most).

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
OK here is what we have so far I named the Martial one Instinctive rend
which is still controlled discipline flavor... and still doesn't include the limit
of that you can see.

BlindRendingWhirl.pngInstinctiveRend.png

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Many essential classes (and subsequent classes like the berserker which is more post-essentials) are written in such a way to imply that you should chose from the listed powers, but they allow for you to actually take from any class power from any book (see Heroes of the Fallen Lands, page 57 "Other sources" sidebar for RAW statement of this). A berserker choosing PHB2 barbarian powers is legal RAW, but loses out because it can't rage and will have half (or all...) its at-will throw it into a fury as they are primal, likewise PHB2 barbarian can take berserker powers, but loses out because it can't Fury (this effects the at-wills the most).

I added the Berserk fury clause on to the Barbarian one this new at-will

Hmmm just looked at other Barbarian at-wills. They have a clause if you are raging calls for more tweaking me thinks.

I am now annoyed to have two powers thanks ;)

Larrin

Entropic Good
If you wanted to include the PHB2 Barbarian in this design you may consider making it "Berserker Fury or if you are Raging". I've always felt that the biggest mistake of the New versions of classes was how little they could play with the previous ones. *shrug*

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Analysing the Barbarian even if they arent raging most of their at-wills have more damage and more mobility than the Defender powers. And sometimes more targets. Howl of Fury for instance Will smack down a lot of enemies.

HowlOfFury.png

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Analysis of Howl of Fury

The howl damage is placeable with one square occupied which is like the secondary targets of the Burst However its probably even more likely to have larger numbers of enemies because of that It's a real benefit but hard to quantify. Additionally the attack centered on you also potentially removes one target from the pool. (both are 8 squares but one is better)

The first attack is based on a [W] and conveys weapon power effects and is probably a big bad Barbarian weapon. I suspect just the damage is worth on the order of +3 and +5 at higher levels this is above the D8 which I have been using.

The secondary damage comes from a good secondary if you want it to be Con.

Noticing the blast attack has no "that you can see bits on it." so in that regards it is a tie. The blast doesn't bother allies for some reason.

Larrin

Entropic Good
The blast doesn't bother allies for some reason.

You're allies are probably all used to you yelling all the time. They've learned to tune you out. It's probably an important survival strategy for being friends with someone who shouts literal thunder when he gets excited.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think my analysis says in rage state the at-will howl of fury is comparable... If we assume the unpredictable advantages of placeability and being ally friendly can make up for some damage deficiency on secondary effects (plus possible advantages from thunder being a feat friendly damage type). However from the point of view of getting boosts to damage from other sources damage rolls are better than static damage.

I am going to say the new power doesn't necessarily invalidate it..

However looking at the Monk Steelwind Attack its almost exactly as good as the new power PLUS gets its flurry feature effect on top of that

AND that points to adding an If Raging clause to the new power which it arguably needs to feel like a Barbarian at-will.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If you wanted to include the PHB2 Barbarian in this design you may consider making it "Berserker Fury or if you are Raging". I've always felt that the biggest mistake of the New versions of classes was how little they could play with the previous ones. *shrug*

I somehow missed that comment... or failed to parse it. Might be able to change the at-wills for the regular Barbarian that way. (even give them the martial keyword)

Remove ads