• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3PP Release New 3PP Micro-release: Spiritualist

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
New PMG release!

This was a direct request from one of my players, and it turned out well, so I figured I'd publish it. If "ghost channeling warlock" sounds cool, check it out!

Spiritualist Cover.png

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Great concept and nicely done, personally I would have thought it more fitting for a sorcerer than a warlock but with a5e emphasis on elemental dge for sorcerer's I can see why you went with warlock.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Great concept and nicely done, personally I would have thought it more fitting for a sorcerer than a warlock but with a5e emphasis on elemental dge for sorcerer's I can see why you went with warlock.
The main reason I went with warlock was that this was a specific request from one of my players from my home group; she wanted a spiritualist warlock specifically, so that's what I built.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Honestly... I feel like a lot of "Fringe Magic" and "Dark Magic" should be the Warlock's niche.

Spiritualism, Necromancy, Fortune Telling, Contract Magic, lots of stuff.

Warlocks should help those poor unfortunate souls. Either sincerely, or full Ursula.
I agree that warlocks should feel like fringe or dark aging welders, powerless people who were so desperate for power that they would do anything.

For me the concept of a spiritualist summons forth the idea of someone who was on with these powers so my mind jumps to sorcerer( well honestly my mind jumps to psychic but until your kickstarter is over we don't have those) but I can completely see a person who made a bargain with some spirt of death to be able to talk with their departed loved ones, or someone who died and made a deal to come back to life having these type of powers. I think it is just the name that makes me feel like it's is a bit of an odd choice. (I have also know many spiritualist and mediums in my life so that might be why the wording is jarring)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Not what I mean, @WanderingMystic.

I'm saying Warlocks should be the Fringe. The people you turn to with ridiculous and questionable situations. You need a ghost cleared from your house, your options should be Priests and Warlocks as your Ghostbusters. You need a Love potion? Artificers and Warlocks are your go-to vendors. You need to bind a Fiend or Angel? Warlocks have that market.

That kinda thing. Not only "We make a deal to gain power" but "We use our power to handle the esoteric".

That said... there is a core Esper class feature that essentially lets them talk to the dead people around a given person to know about their life and gain bonuses to insight checks 'cause Spiritualism is also a Psychic thing.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Not what I mean, @WanderingMystic.

I'm saying Warlocks should be the Fringe. The people you turn to with ridiculous and questionable situations. You need a ghost cleared from your house, your options should be Priests and Warlocks as your Ghostbusters. You need a Love potion? Artificers and Warlocks are your go-to vendors. You need to bind a Fiend or Angel? Warlocks have that market.

That kinda thing. Not only "We make a deal to gain power" but "We use our power to handle the esoteric".

That said... there is a core Esper class feature that essentially lets them talk to the dead people around a given person to know about their life and gain bonuses to insight checks 'cause Spiritualism is also a Psychic thing.
OK I see what you mean veiwing the warlocks as your Constintine esk characters (dead boy detectives, most Neil Gamin characters,) where these are the people you turn to when you have no other option because the problem is just to far out from the mainstream or because you are to remind e from the mainstream to go anywhere else.

That does give them a good niche place in a setting fitting the role of the mysterious person out in the woods who people whisper about but still go to when they need something no one else can provide.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
EXACTLY!

So the Sorcerer is the Charismatic Spiritualist, the John Edward Spiritualist. Maybe he's speaking to the dead, maybe he's cold reading you, in either case he's being over the top and drawing a crowd.

The Priest is the Religious Spiritualist. Who comes to your house to talk to you about ghosts and demons and then charges a massive tribute to the Church to perform an exorcism.

The Warlock is the weirdo you turn to at the edge of society who channels the ghost into their very body and speaks with their voice and then sucks down 3/4 of a cigarette to blow the smoke, and the ghost, into a jar. Then slaps the lid on real quick and tells you "Put this in a mirror lined box and bury it far from any crossroads." Like the situation is WEIRD but the job gets done.

Remove ads