• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with a trial based on the seven deadly sins.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Hey there guys, I am currently planning a session in which my party enter through a hell gate and find themselves faced with seven trials based on the deadly sins(pride, greed,lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth) the idea is that the sin must be resisted to pass and each room will have a inscription in it to give a hint at the sin.

Currently I have pride, wrath, greed and gluttony roughly planned in my head the general gist of these trials is; pride the party must surrender, greed they must not loot the room, gluttony must starve to death and wrath they must not retaliate. So this leaves me without a trial for lust, envy and sloth so I turn to the collective hive mind for even the slightest of prompts.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Always tough if players get a heads up they can just walk away from the temptation. Always easier to say than actually do. Every sin should have a negative attached to resisting. I believe ability scores are harder to resist than a magic item. Anyhoo, some brainstorming:

Pride: alternately a test that is below their dignity. The players need to shovel manure, etc. That's easy to role-play, but it's all about swallowing pride. Develop an abrasive (and invincible) noble who insists they lick his boots, wipe his arse, etc., before he'll release his captive who is essential to their quest. Each time the players balk, he cuts an ear, a toe, etc. off the captive, belittles the party as this is their fault, and he comes up with an even more demeaning task. The noble will go back on his word, say he's not done, they've not entertained him enough, and not release the captive. He'll insist on more tasks. If not done, he will eventually kill the captive, affecting the party negatively in a future venture. The point is to swallow pride to save someone as the tasks he insists upon, while demeaning, are never self-harming.

Wrath: like a Baldur's Gate II avatar, fighting it only makes it stronger, healing was the way to defeat it, and hints were given through religious dogma.

Greed: must sacrifice a valuable awesome item found during the trial, keeping it permanently and negatively affects one party member (e.g. a 2 point drop in a primary attribute, not game-breaking but it sucks). Will they harm a fellow party member to satisfy their need for this item? Alternately, could offer 2-3 awesome items (always less than # of players so someone is left out). The cost is a permanent hit on another player of their choice (the 2 point drop again).

Gluttony: it's all about taking more than you need, so doesn't have to be about food. Could be a dangerous path lined with treasure. A small amount won't affect the terrain, but every amount more than X increases the chances of something bad by a %. Alternately, could have food that restores ability scores lost previously through other tests. In doing so, the player will discover, be clearly informed, that once restored eating more can increase their primary attribute by, let's say 4, in exchange for a 2 point loss in something else of their choice. The twist is that gluttony is never rewarded. By taking more than they need, the penalty stays and the primary attribute is not boosted.

Lust: please don't go succubi. Lust is an intense, unnecessary, want for an object or circumstance. It's not always sex. Perhaps a Wishing Well test. It says it can boost a player's primary attribute by 1 and give them an awesome item. Each time it does, someone randomly in the world will lose an eye, arm, or leg, except for the characters.They can do this up to # of party members. Since this is a test, they get the boons (temporarily), and you can consider whether this affects someone in a future encounter or not.

Envy: one of the players receives a boon that protects them from a permanent drain effect that occurs each round while completing a task, crossing a puzzle board, etc. If he shares, the boon can be split into 2, leaving himself and one other party member (assuming 4) without. Players assume the penalties just go away, but leave them in until every trial is completed. They need to know the decisions have impact.

Sloth: taking the past of least resistance, the easy way out, is the lesson. The problem is that common sense sometimes says the easy way might be the better way. Maybe earlier in adventures give item that will auto-solve a puzzle, let's say a Passwall or limited Disintegrate magic item. Then let's put in a metagame puzzle to be solved. The twist is that there's an innocent stranger affected by their decisions. When they start the puzzle, a timer begins and the stranger, who is in a cage, will slowly be set free. However, if the puzzle is solved too quickly, the enchanted cage he is in will drop and he will be maimed by acid (lose a leg). Let's say 10 rounds. Each round, something bad happens to the players, and you need to make it hurt. Damage can be healed, but loss of coin, ability scores, items, etc., cannot. Will they take the easy way out and use the item to avoid harm to themselves, or will they take the harder path to save another?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Hey there guys, I am currently planning a session in which my party enter through a hell gate and find themselves faced with seven trials based on the deadly sins(pride, greed,lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth) the idea is that the sin must be resisted to pass and each room will have a inscription in it to give a hint at the sin.

Currently I have pride, wrath, greed and gluttony roughly planned in my head the general gist of these trials is; pride the party must surrender, greed they must not loot the room, gluttony must starve to death and wrath they must not retaliate. So this leaves me without a trial for lust, envy and sloth so I turn to the collective hive mind for even the slightest of prompts.
A very good trial for "Sloth" I recall from a Mage: the Ascension game years ago went like this: Sloth was personified, and said he didn't want to fight the heroes (tooo much work!), and in return for sparing him the effort, he'd short-cut them past the remaining challenges right to the final confrontation. What a deal, no more having your resources whittled away! (The trick was that the big bad was losing power with each 'sin' defeated, so short-cutting meant he wasn't beatable.)

Azurewraith

Explorer
Some good ideas I really like this one the idea of noble heroes mucking out a stable, then the latrine I even have the perfect npc to be captive.

Pride: alternately a test that is below their dignity. The players need to shovel manure, etc. That's easy to role-play, but it's all about swallowing pride. Develop an abrasive (and invincible) noble who insists they lick his boots, wipe his arse, etc., before he'll release his captive who is essential to their quest. Each time the players balk, he cuts an ear, a toe, etc. off the captive, belittles the party as this is their fault, and he comes up with an even more demeaning task. The noble will go back on his word, say he's not done, they've not entertained him enough, and not release the captive. He'll insist on more tasks. If not done, he will eventually kill the captive, affecting the party negatively in a future venture. The point is to swallow pride to save someone as the tasks he insists upon, while demeaning, are never self-harming.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
More positively, there are in fact the Seven Virtues.

Four of them derive from classical Hellenistic philosophy. Three of them derive from the New Testament, but are also universalist.

• Perseverance (Fortitude: pressing on when circumstances are difficult)
• Self-Knowledge (Prudence: a realistic assessment of ones own strengths and weaknesses)
• Self-Discipline (Temperance: never losing ones cool; fulfilling ones desires in altruistic ways)
• Justice (Justice: pursuing fairness, equality, and freedom; minimalizing use of coercion)

• Confidence (Faith: trust in the sense of being trusty, reliable, honest, and trusting those who earn trust)
• Positive Thinking (Hope: giving people and circumstances the benefit of the doubt)
• Love (Love: seeking the wellbeing of others, as aspects of ones own wellbeing)

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
For lust do something with a succubus or erynies, something harmless like a lap Dance or so and let the Players make wisdom and Charisma saving throws a lot :p

Do not Forget those creatures may have horns wings and tails :p

I cannot go into Detail on my ideas much further because that would be uncomfortable to some Readers :)

Azurewraith

Explorer
More positively, there are in fact the Seven Virtues.

Four of them derive from classical Hellenistic philosophy. Three of them derive from the New Testament, but are also universalist.

• Perseverance (Fortitude: pressing on when circumstances are difficult)
• Self-Knowledge (Prudence: a realistic assessment of ones own strengths and weaknesses)
• Self-Discipline (Temperance: never losing ones cool; fulfilling ones desires in altruistic ways)
• Justice (Justice: pursuing fairness, equality, and freedom; minimalizing use of coercion)

• Confidence (Faith: trust in the sense of being trusty, reliable, honest, and trusting those who earn trust)
• Positive Thinking (Hope: giving people and circumstances the benefit of the doubt)
• Love (Love: seeking the wellbeing of others, as aspects of ones own wellbeing)
I did come across these virtues while doing a little bit of research but couldn't figure out how to slot them in without over complicating things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads