• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

need help on rokugan cannon

gwyllgi

First Post
Okay me and my GM have come to a point where i want to make a variant class, possibly one i can use later but the problem is that we need a good enough reason why enough people would diverge off the main path.

let me explain that i plan on implementing (and posting) variant features that the GM accepts later on, but currently i am playing as a dread necro and life is hard.

yes, this is based off of this thread, http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-le...d-necromancer-ranger-oriental-adventures.html .

i don't know much about oriental adventures other than what was mentioned in heroes of horror. so i need to know a few this about it's 3.0/5 history.

1.canonically, are all necromancers considered pure evil in rokugan, i know somewhat of the taint and that as a dread necro i have some but does this make me on closer to frankenstein (who is activly hunted like shadowlands creatures) or a theif (who is considered lowly and a nuisance)? I have a idea of what my GM thinks, which is closer the theif.

2. How does magic work, I bet that my GM is currently looking this up as well and i want to help, do they have mages guilds or will i have to wander into the shadowlands and hope i encounter a nice Yokai (Spirit folk) maho-tsukai?

There are still some other questions that i need answered but not related to canon, if the paladin doesn't exist in it's western form in OA and is replaced by the samurai, can someone give me a real world asian equivalent to something like a dread necro, to base my class off of?

Buugipopuu

First Post
Cannon are rare in Rokugan due to the high price of metal of the quality required to produce them, and the difficulty in sourcing adequate gunpowder.

gwyllgi

First Post
hah ha hilarious you should go ply your trade at 4chan.

also rokugan is not japan, the do not have a shortage of metal.

Nellisir

Hero
Gwyllgi - I'm not a scholar of asian culture, so I can't help you in that respect. From what I recall of Rokugan, taint is not easily detected at low levels, so you should be alright if you keep it low. It's not an automatic death sentence, more like a case of leprosy.

There are no mage guilds. Society is organized into Clans (Lion, Crab, Dragon, etc), and then families within each Clan. Families have specialties, essentially acting as guilds. As a necromancer, I think it's unlikely you're going to have a lot of familial support (unless your family is Chuda or Goju, from the Shadowlands), and will basically be wandering the Shadowlands.

Noir le Lotus

First Post
1. Yes necromancy is considered pure evil in Rokugan and is closely linked to the shadowlands taint.

2. No mage guilds in rokugan. Magic is teached in specific clan schools. Nevertheless, to learn necromancy and blood magic, you can either :

- be a member of the phoenix clan who found dark knowledge in librairies and studied it in secret. The phoenix librairies are full of ancient tomes about forbidden knowledge.

- have studied with the Tsukai Sugasu (witch hunters, who are seeking necromancers and bloodspeakers and so forth have some theorical knowledge of necromancy) of the Crab clan. Some tsukai sugasu join "the dark side" ;) during these studies and succomb to the taint

An equivalent of dread necromancer could be Maho tsukai in Rokugan.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Cannon are rare in Rokugan due to the high price of metal of the quality required to produce them, and the difficulty in sourcing adequate gunpowder.
Seriously, look into the Glass Steel spell. Bypass the metal issue entirely.

Puts a whole new spin on "glass cannon". :)

gwyllgi

First Post
thanks for the replies i will be posting my approved OA Dread Necro for those who want to see it, also

Glass Steel Cannon, you will never see it coming, especially if rokugan does have a metal shortage like japan because it probably mean they have no comprehension of glass working.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads