• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need Campaign World suggestions

bushfire

First Post
Garmorn said:
With all of the new settings out now, I need some help picking out a new settings. While I use to create my own the new options and information needed to run a detailed world is more than I am able to handle along with my groups increasing desire for more story and background the I am use to.

I want some thing with lower power levels then FR but still close to the book in power level. The setting will need to have lots of support besides adventures. The third condition it will need to be fairly traditional in its approach. SL is a little to unconventional for my current group.
I have heard of but not seen or run in Grayhawk, and Kalemar. I look to get information about them or any similar setting, including what books to buy, a general description of the feel of the world.

Thanks
You might want to check out the Judges Guild Wilderlands setting. Pretty much has what you described. There is a lot of information over on the Necromancer Games forums
http://pub123.ezboard.com/bnecromancergames

There is also good information in this thread
http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?threadid=58540

bushfire

Garmorn

Explorer
Thanks everyone.

I will give another look at SL. I do own CC 1, and RR 1. Seemed a little strange to my player, but that was a year ago.

Man, I did not know Judges Guild was back up and running again. It has been a long time since I got any their stuff. I remember all of their stuff being great back in the 80's.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
shouit said:
I have run/played SL, Oathbound and have run Midnight. I like Midnight the best, by far; but SL is more ordinary than you think, just a little few twists and turns. I would do SL if you want somewhat conventional....

BTW, Nightfall, what happened to your sig, it is like way shorter than it has been...

Someone complained. Therefore I shortened it shouit.

But thanks guys for making me feel like we are conventional. ;) In any case I will say that if Garmorn feels he can't do it justice that's fine. I feel the same way about running FR campaigns at times. Also thanks to Rueme (the Collecter of great stuff) and of course Hand and T-Bill.

One further thing Garmorn, do try to pick up CC Revised. I think you'll find it very enlightening. That and SLCS: Ghelspad. Also if your players are particular about which classes they like, have them try out the Player's Guides. I believe that should seal the deal so to speak. :)

Garmorn

Explorer
Nightfall said:

One further thing Garmorn, do try to pick up CC Revised. I think you'll find it very enlightening. That and SLCS: Ghelspad. Also if your players are particular about which classes they like, have them try out the Player's Guides. I believe that should seal the deal so to speak. :)

Already had planes to pick up CC (Revised) and CC2 as they are great for throw really off beat monsters at my players. One of the things by players are picky about are the gods. They have strong feelings about them being believable. (One reason I don't run FR, to many "cheesy" gods for my players).

I do have time before my next campaign starts. The current one is only about 1/3 complete with the party about 11th level. I plan to do lots of research but wanted a good start point so not to waste time.

patrakis

Explorer
I have not noticed if you want D20 specific world but since you seem to be looking for story and background more than stats, i suggest you take a look at the world of Harn from Columbia games. Probably the most detailed setting made. Their web site is at http://www.columbiagames.com .

Trickstergod

First Post
It doesn't take more than a cursory glance to realize that Arcana Unearthed is unconventional in the extreme; it has high magic, extremely out there, written all over it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see much of Medieval Europe or traditional mythology in it (be it Tolkienesque, Greek, or whatever). I'd heartily recommend not bothering with it if you're looking for something more traditional.

As for Midnight? It's currently at the top of my "things to get" list, but have the misfortune of generally being broke. However, I think I might suck it up and pick up the setting book. With that said, it does seem to have a very traditional element to it, if twisted. It comes across as a traditional fantasy world, but in this case, the good guys lost when the Big Bad World Encompassing Evil came around. I can't give it the best review or recommendation, but it seems to have enough fantasy elements to make it worthwhile for someone looking for something not overly unconventional, yet still be interesting and unique in its own way.

In regards to the Scarred Lands...I think the setting could be best summed up as the most unconventional setting for mainstream, traditional settings. That come across right? If it were to be categorized, it would fit better with Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance, more than it would, say, Planescape. It lacks the generic element of Greyhawk, the uber-twinked out, anything goes, high fantasy, hodge podge that is the Forgotten Realms, and doesn't have the problem Dragonlance does with feeling like the novels essentially wrote the setting into the dust.

While you can play up its unconventional aspect, it also has a large number of traditional fantasy (and Western European) elements that a DM looking for a more traditional game can make use of. Whether you want to play a nitty, gritty low fantasy game involving self-sufficient Vigilants trekking through lands harsh and wild, a more magically oriented campaign dealing with the magocracies of Glivid Autel and Hollowfaust, or, and this is what makes the setting in my opinion, the faith and devotion of the humble and high alike, the Scarred Lands has a lot to offer, and, for the most part, it all blends nearly seamlessly together, as if created with a world in mind, as opposed to a bunch of neat ideas (which I think the Forgotten Realms suffers from).

Elves? Has them, and while they can be played up to being freaky, out there, alien beings of immortality, they can just as easily be portrayed as the elves of Tolkien and still be done justice (though I'd avoid forsaken elves, if you wanted more Tolkien elements). Dwarves? Yeah, they're there, and while magic is a strong part of them, it deals with the more traditionally dwarf-ascribed assocation with runes, and the strong, warrior-heritage, and under-the-mountains living is still there. The gods themselves? All fill a certain archetype ("Avenger", "Redeemer", "Huntress", "Lawgiver", "Trickster", etc, etc), which one could easily connect with. Orcs? Yep. More or less as you might expect them to be, too. It even has a decent explanation for scantily clad sorceress women.

Does it have unconventional aspects to it? Yeah, of course. Then again, so does the Forgotten Realms, which is the most absolute mainstream setting out there (one might argue, "Well, then isn't it a bit inappropriate to say the Forgotten Realms could have anything unconvetional?" To which I would reply, no, because the Forgotten Realms has just about everything under the sun dwelling within the setting, in one place or another). But one could just as easily enjoy kicking back in a tavern with your axe-wielding dwarf buddy, your elven archer lover, the paladin in gleaming plate, and so on, while reminiscing on your last battle with a bunch of orcs and how the local baron gave you a nod in thanks for ridding his lands of the foul menace.

If folks opinions have in anyway swayed you towards nabbing anything Scarred Lands, my recommendations would be as follows:

The Ghelspad Campaign Setting, or at least the Gazetteer: These two products describe the primary continent of the world, and offer a bit of info on a few organizations that are out there to make use of.

Divine and the Defeated: The setting, at its heart, is about the Gods and the Titans who waged war on the land all of 150 years ago. This is their book. It does stat out the gods, sure, but most of all, it describes their faiths, and their personalities (which gives a glimpse of what sort of tenets their faiths have), and the organizations of their faiths, to a degree, in addition to offering up a few, cool as heck stories and myths revolving around the deities.

Burok Torn: The most simplistic explanation would be, "The dwarf city book,". It also deals with a small chunk of Scarn's (the world the Scarred Lands is set in) history. The dwarves do cast spells, but over all, they're still distinctly, recognizably dwarves, axes, forges, and all. The book also goes into detail about the Dark Elves of the Scarred Lands, who have more style in their left pinky than Lolth and her little toadies do in their whole, god-forsaken Underdark. The Dark Elves may be a bit unconventional in certain ways (a city that moves underground, with the help of a veritable golem army), but the part on the dwarves has a good amount of traditional "meat" to those interested in the book. As someone who has never found dwarves to be particularly exciting, I enjoyed Burok Torn.

Relics and Rituals I: The spell descriptions offer a glimpse into the setting, as do a few prestige Classes (Vigilant in particular).

Calastia, Throne of the Black Dragon: Of particular note because it goes on about how a Lawful Evil nation can be beloved by its people, and not just seen as some tyranny of an evil empire (even when it is).

Books I wouldn't recommend (not necessarily due to their quality, as being unconventional, in my viewpoint)

Hollowfaust: A city run, essentially, by Lawful Neutral necromancers. Undead seen as an everyday part of life. Still decent, but not necessarily conventional.

Hornsaw, Forest of Blood: Two-bladed scythes. Mutant unicorns. While maybe some folks bag, it doesn't strike me as being particularly traditional fantasy fare.

There's a few more, I'm sure, but, I feel I've waxed on poetically enough. These are just my feelings, mind you, and definitely biased ones at that. I certainly wouldn't want you to buy something you wouldn't like; I just feel that, at the heart of it all, the Scarred Lands is fairly traditional, in some aspects, enough that you might enjoy it. If it helps put it in any context, I wouldn't have recommended Planescape to you (which I like), and the Forgotten Realms makes me twitch uncomfortably.

Anyway, peace out. Peace between dwarves and elves.

Trickstergod

First Post
Garmorn said:

One of the things by players are picky about are the gods. They have strong feelings about them being believable. (One reason I don't run FR, to many "cheesy" gods for my players).

As I said, the gods (and titans) are the very foundation of the Scarred Lands.

As the gods and titans line insinuated, there are certain Greek tones to them.

Anyway, what do you mean by them being believable, or cheesy, eh? While there are a number of demigods, there are primarily eight major gods, who cover all the alignments except for True Neutral. As I mentioned before, they represent certain archetypes, which makes them "believable", in my opinion. They're the sort of figures one would believe in. Gods of the forge, sun, and moon, law, deception, and violence. Titans of gluttony, the hunt, and the winds, or pleasure, the earth, and disease. The Scarred Lands is all about its divine entities; they literally put the Scarred into Scarred Lands.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
So Trick, you trying to take my job now? ;)

But I think if your players are tired of gods of magic or at least gods that control large scales of magic, I think they'll find the Scarred Lands gods refreshing. Plus the fact if they like druids, well the fact is druids in the scarred lands can come from most any stripe. Heck they can even be shamanistic! ;) But the gods themselves I find pretty entertaining. Mainly that while they do fill their roles well in terms of alignment, they do it in a broad splashy way. With 8 major gods and 10 minor demi-gods there is plenty to enjoy. And if your player wants another one, certainly there's more than enough room to create one on the fly. Trickster is also right in that while SL is unconventional, it's not like we're THAT left or right of center. I do think what SL offers is playing up on less looked in classes such as paladins and druids, along with rangers and rogues. Combine that was the strangeness of arcane magic, the fact sorcery itself is as natural as breathing to some, and you got something that isn't just pasted together like a few of the D&D worlds. Indeed while it's not always centered like Midnight or well defined by rules or ideas like AU, it does give the characters...a sense of self. That what they do, who they interact with, and what they believe can effect them far more than in some other worlds.

Plus while I think Trick is right in that if they aren't settled with it, there are places that can the players can feel at home. But even so, why make them feel at home everywhere? Let them challenge the rigors of the Hornsaw, or try their hand at snuffing out a warren of Ratmen/Slitheren. Heck perhaps even find a lost city of Slacerian psionic artifacts! This and more can be found here. :) I hope though you'll give your players some chances to try the Player's Guide. Certainly from what I've read and what I've worked on myself, the various classes can find their own nitches quite well.

Remove ads