Natural Weapons and extra attacks, help!

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Howdy all,

I have conned my DM into letting me play a lizardfolk druid. I want to use his natural weaponry as his preferred means of attack. The normal lizardman in the Monster manual, gets 2 claws and a bite at full BAB for the claws and a -2 for the bite due to the multiattack feat (which i will be taking)

My first question is as a PC with the multiattack feat do I get to use my full natural attack routine as listed in the MM or do I have to use the two weapon fighting feats?

My second question is when that glorious day arrives that I am able to make an extra attack because of a +6 BAB how does that work with natural attacks? Do I get an extra claw attack at -5 BAB?

If the answers to these questions are printed anywhere let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dirge

Thanee

First Post
I don't know if this is written anywhere, but I believe, that when you choose to use natural weapons, you just gain all the attacks listed during a full attack, but no iterative attacks.

The Multiattack feat simply changes the attack penalty for secondary attacks from -5 to -2.

You could, of course, choose to use iterative attacks like anyone else instead, but could not benefit from both.

All the creatures in the monster manual with multiple attacks and a BAB of 6+ do not get iterative attacks, or at least I'm not aware of any that do.

Bye
Thanee

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Thanee said:
I don't know if this is written anywhere, but I believe, that when you choose to use natural weapons, you just gain all the attacks listed during a full attack, but no iterative attacks.

The Multiattack feat simply changes the attack penalty for secondary attacks from -5 to -2.

You could, of course, choose to use iterative attacks like anyone else instead, but could not benefit from both.

All the creatures in the monster manual with multiple attacks and a BAB of 6+ do not get iterative attacks, or at least I'm not aware of any that do.

Bye
Thanee

That makes sense, would be a bit overpowered to get 3 natural attacks plus iterative attacks. But this leads me to another question, can I use a weapon and still get my bite attack with the multiattack feat or am I now on two weapon fighting territory?

thanks
Dirge

Thanee

First Post
Well, I think you would need two-weapon fighting to do that.

Maybe, if you do not use iterative attacks, that might work, but as you are not really using natural attacks, I think it does not.

Bye
Thanee

Caliban

Rules Monkey
BLACKDIRGE said:

That makes sense, would be a bit overpowered to get 3 natural attacks plus iterative attacks.

You cannot get iterative attacks with natural weapons, only with manufactured weapons.

Unarmed strikes (with a fist/kick/headbutt, not with claws/horns/etc.) are not treated as natural weapons, but as manufactured weapons. (i.e. monks get iterative attacks with their unarmed attacks, and you can use two-weapon fighting/ambidexterity with them.)

But this leads me to another question, can I use a weapon and still get my bite attack with the multiattack feat or am I now on two weapon fighting territory?

thanks
Dirge

It can be confusing when you use both manufactured and natural weapons at once. Basically the manufactured weapon replaces the primary attack form (claws in your case).

You would make iterative attacks with the manufactured weapon, and you would still be able to use your secondary natural weapons normally (the bite in your case).

If you want to use a weapon in one hand, and still make a claw attack with your free hand, you would have use the two-weapon fighting rules for an off-hand attack.

Check out Sahaguin and Minotaurs in the MM for examples of this.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Thanks Caliban, that really helps.

Now that you mention it I do remember minotaurs making gore attacks in addition to their weapon attacks and using the multiattack feat on the gore.

Well either way, if I go just natural attacks, or with weapon + bite it gives me some very interesting combat options.

Thanks all
Dirge

Remove ads