• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros

teitan

Legend
I noticed there isn’t a thread to discuss the book now that it’s out and nothing three pages back either. I bought it today but also wanted to see what others think. For me it covers some ground I was working on for my own home brew Masters of the Universe meets Thor meets New Gods campaign. Any. Thoughts?

dave2008

Legend
There is this thread that I started: MOoT on DnD Beyond, that discussed it when it came out on DnD Beyond (8 pages of discussion). I also purchased a hard copy a few weeks back and got more into it once I did. I would be willing to discuss it some more, but I heavily favor the DM side of things. Off the top of my head, here are some of my thoughts:
  • Mythic Monsters. nice way to provide truly threatening high level monsters, and template for creating low level "elite" monsters
  • Monster section in general, the part on chimeras is great. It could use more mythic monsters IMO.
  • Supernatural gifts. Great idea to create legendary "heroes" at low level and beyond
  • Piety. Another nice way to make the gods a direct presence in your game and provide a little power boost.
  • Deity entries. A nice balance of lore and mechanical benefit. They also included some abstract info about the general power of Theros gods (like the can cast any spell they can grant at-will IIRC).
What are your thoughts?

Weiley31

Legend
If you ever wanted to recreate the 3.0/3.5 lose your powers feature that a number of classes, like the Paladin/Cleric had, then the Piety system is great for replicating that idea or enforcing it. Supernatural gifts, in my opinion, should be a level 1 option given out at character creation.which is a house rule I use in my games

Teemu

Hero
I don’t know how fun the piety system is in play. Has anyone tried it extensively? It looks a little tricky since a party could easily have 4 different patron gods, and the rules assume one piety increase per session or so. And then some of the favored and disliked activities are pretty varied, so you’re expected to cram 4 different deity favored elements in each session? Every time? Not sure about that.

TheSword

Legend
It stacks up poorly against Odyssey of the Dragonlords. Both in terms of subclasses, creatures, and races. If you only had money for one Greek themed product by Dragonlords. You’ll be far more satisfied.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
It stacks up poorly against Odyssey of the Dragonlords. Both in terms of subclasses, creatures, and races. If you only had money for one Greek themed product by Dragonlords. You’ll be far more satisfied.

For subclasses, creatures, and races stacking up poorly, do you mean number? power? flavor?

TheSword

Legend
For subclasses, creatures, and races stacking up poorly, do you mean number? power? flavor?
All three really. The Dragonlords subclasses are
on par with the others that have been released but I find the Theros subclasses subpar.

Dragonlords has an appropriate subclass for every class while Theros only has two.

All the subclasses for Dragonlords suit the epic Greek mythology and could be used in any Greek setting - with the exception of the Paladin subclass that is specific for the Dragonlords.

Examples include Hoplite, Odyssean rogue, Prophet. They’re excellent.

Remove ads