D&D 5E My Hack for the Dragonmark Playtest Rules

This is my attempt to address a few related issues, namely demi-human Dragonmarks for first level characters and the fact that sub-races aren't really a thing in Eberron. I've rolled them all together into something I've dubbed "Callings".

Human:

Standard
Variant
Marked^
* Finding
* Handling
* Making
* Passage
* Sentinel
* Aberrant

Dwarf:

Hill^
Mountain^
Marked^
* Warding
* Aberrant

Elf:

High^
Wood^
Marked^
* Shadow
* Aberrant

Gnome:

Forrest^
Rock^
Marked^
* Scribing
* Aberrant

Halfling:

Lightfoot^
Stout^
Marked^
* Healing
* Hospitality
* Aberrant

Half-elf:

Standard
Marked^#
* Detection
* Storm
* Aberrant

Half-orc:

Standard
Marked^$
* Finding
* Aberrant

^ This Calling may be taken at a later time at the expence of a Feat.
* Marked options are mutually exclusive.
# Half-elves that take the Marked Calling at level one forgo their +1/+1 bonus.
$ Half-orcs that take the Marked Calling at level one forgo their +1 to Con and Savage Attack, these maybe taken at a later time at the expence of a Feat.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I have to say, I wasn't a fan of how they did dragonmarks in Unearthed Arcana. They just didn't feel special.

I'd really like it if dragonmarks had something about them that actually added to the story and is a unique power, rather than just spells that are available to other classes anyway.

For instance (just rough thinking):

House Deneith - Mark of the Sentinel (lesser mark)

This dragonmark offers the following abilities. Choose from:

1- Sense Prey. You can sense when you are in the same area as a single being you have designated as your prey. To designate somebody as your prey, you must either meet them or thoroughly study their background. This may include interviewing people from their past. This ability is rough, but you will be able to sense whether you are on the same plane, the same continent, the same city, in the same building. As an example, if your prey is hiding in Sharn, you will know when you enter Sharn that you are in the right city. If you enter a dungeon complex or building where your prey is, you will know they are there. This ability can be blocked by abilities, spells or powers that block divination.

OR

2- Sentinel block - If an ally within 5 feet of you would take damage from any physical attack, you can use your reaction to swap positions with that ally and take the damage (and other effects) instead of the intended target. This does not work for attacks that target both you and your ally. If you have another ability that allows you to take damage instead of your ally, this ability improves that ability so that you only take half damage once per day when you use your other ability.

I'm not sure though. That might be too complicated.

Remove ads