• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Additions to Final Encounter in Shelter from the Storm

Bercilak

Explorer
Knowing how my group rolls (namely their 3 strikers/1 leader party demolishes most creatures pretty quickly), I decided that the final confrontation in Shelter from the Storm would be pretty easy for them, and I really didn't want to add more creatures as that tends to just draw out fights. So, I made a little chart. Each round I rolled to see if the land or sea would have some terrain/hazard effect, and then I created a couple of charts for what would happen. In our fight, we only got a couple of the results, but the players were amused that a giant whirlpool was forming round after round and that lightning strikes were coming dangerously close to them. Just thought I'd share:

(Note: "characters" refers to any creature--PC or monster)

On each turn, roll 1d6:
1-3: Storm event
4-6: Water event

Storm Event:
1: Lightning Strike (Roll 1d20 for x and y axis. Lightning strikes in a burst 1 from that spot, +14 vs. Fortitude, doing 4d10 damage, miss: half.)
2: Avalanche (Fierce winds cause rocks to fall from the moutain top, making a +12 vs. Reflex attack on anyone adjacent to the mountain. Damage: 3d6, miss: half.)
3: Roof collapse (One square on the roof collapses. +14 vs. Reflex or be entangled (save ends))
4: Winds stir up debris (Debris flies across the roof, causing a -2 to all melee attacks this round, -5 to ranged.)
5: Thunder crash (+12 vs. Fortitude for all characters above water or be deafened (save ends))
6: Fierce wind (Anyone on land not protected by Tidereaver's Tears is slid 1d6 squares toward the sea.)

Water Event:
1: Storm Surge (Waves wash onto the roof, making all squares difficult terrain until the next turn.)
2: Tidal Swell (The waves moves all characters already in the water. They must make an Athletics check (w/ bonus equal to swim score), DC 24, or be moved toward the building 1 square for each 2 points by which they failed. If this moves them into the building, they take 1d4 damage for each square of movement left.)
3: Undertow (All characters in water are sucked underwater 2 squares)
4: Whirlpool (All characters in the water are slid 1d4 squares in a random direction.)
5: Seaspray (All characters with their heads above water have a -2 to attacks this round.)
6: Tidal Wave: (All characters on the roof must make an Acrobatics check DC 22 or go prone and be slid inland 2 squares. All characters in the water make an Athletics check DC22 or are moved 2 squares inland, going on land if necessary.)

-Berc

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads