Mutants and Masterminds 3e

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
We’ve started looking at this game.

System seems really interesting and flexible.

I think I’ve got a decent grasp on the basics now but will be having some questions about certain rules and interactions. Also just some general advice.

Anyone else have general thoughts on the game - I’ll get to my questions later.

Scottius

Adventurer
Mutants & Masterminds is my personal favorite Superhero RPG. I've played more 2nd edition than 3rd but I have the books for both. I find the game runs really well and gives good super hero vibes. The main issue I run into with my groups is the normal one I see with point buy systems. The players generally don't want to put in the buy in to make their own characters/learn the character creation system. I either have to use pre-gens or do the character building for my players after taking their input on what kind of character they want to play.

I tend to run games that mix a bit of silver/bronze age with modern heroics. I've also run a very fun street level heroes game with the system in the past as well.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
I hope you mean the Third Edition of Mutants and Masterminds, and not the first Iteration of the Mutants and Masterminds ruleset which was based on the 3.0 SRD. The former is, indeed, a solid system. If you mean the latter, do yourself a huge favor and get the former instead.

Pretty much what Reynard said, although I don't think the tradeoffs of customization versus ease of play between 2 and 3 are pronounced enough that one is strictly better than the other overall. You can still do quite a lot with 3 in terms of building unique characters.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
first question - when using 2 powers in the linked extra, if my pl cap is 5 meaning combined 10 of attack and effect and I have 5 attack, and effect 5 on both powers, is that valid or do I need to reduce the effect level down so that the total combined effect is 5 to stay under cap?

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
The quick character creation system in the Basic Hero's Handbook and included as an option in the Deluxe Hero's Handbook makes it much quicker and easier to make characters, especially for beginners.

Reynard

Legend
first question - when using 2 powers in the linked extra, if my pl cap is 5 meaning combined 10 of attack and effect and I have 5 attack, and effect 5 on both powers, is that valid or do I need to reduce the effect level down so that the total combined effect is 5 to stay under cap?
I believe the cap is the limit, not "stay under this."

Remove ads