• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mount Prices

Victim

First Post
I've wondering about the prices of high level mounts. I didn't see anything in the rulebooks themselves regarding the price for mounts like hippogriffs and wyverns.

We have existing data for the Riding Horse (75 GP, no mount special, level 1), and the Warhorse (680, mounted combat special, level 3). 680 GP is also the price of a level 3 magic item. The Riding Horse, which lacks the special ability, is about 1/5th the price of a level 1 item.

That doesn't seem quite right for high level creatures though - a level 30 monster as a mount is pretty badass by itself even if it doesn't provide any special bonuses. On the other hand, mountable creatures seem to top out a lot lower than that.

frankthedm

First Post
In the time they had to develop 4E Wotc could not figure out how to fully balance mounts and such in 4e. So they left them at the 3E prices and left the rules and some notes how to compensate for their presence in DMG. :(

I was VERY displeased to see mount abilities with FRAGGING level requirements to use.
pbbbtt.gif

Zurai

First Post
Another amusing failure of the Mount system is that Mounts cannot be smaller than Large size. Halflings have to ride Clydesdales, it seems, rather than riding dogs. And goblins riding wolves? What fool thought of that? ...

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Mounts don't help players crawl through dungeons, kill things and take their loot, so they're not important enough to have good/complete rules.

/sarcasm

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Victim said:
I've wondering about the prices of high level mounts. I didn't see anything in the rulebooks themselves regarding the price for mounts like hippogriffs and wyverns.

We have existing data for the Riding Horse (75 GP, no mount special, level 1), and the Warhorse (680, mounted combat special, level 3). 680 GP is also the price of a level 3 magic item. The Riding Horse, which lacks the special ability, is about 1/5th the price of a level 1 item.

That doesn't seem quite right for high level creatures though - a level 30 monster as a mount is pretty badass by itself even if it doesn't provide any special bonuses. On the other hand, mountable creatures seem to top out a lot lower than that.

Think about it. A war horse thoroughbred, and VERY well trained. They can get expensive.

Victim

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
Think about it. A war horse thoroughbred, and VERY well trained. They can get expensive.

I never said they shouldn't be expensive. I was trying to figure out how to extrapolate the price for higher level mounts from the existing ones.

Family

First Post
The vehicle you think you might own always cost enough to hurt you. whether it's a used 80's 4banger when you're 16 or a v12 carbon fiber import when you get your pick of corner offices.

~40-60% of player liquidity is my suggestion. Unless they want Baggy, the discount mount :D

Family

First Post
It's how you roll that counts.

boeingbusinessjet.jpg

Bugatti_Veyron_Fbg_par_Hermes_10_6w.jpg

$1,200,000.00
GeneralLeeChevette_resized.jpg

$200obo

My point isn't realist, it's that getting a mount should envoke the same emotions of your first car/midlife horsepower. My team just invested in a group of horses. Thay had to save, and pass on a few items they wanted. But they are beaming! Just wait until I have the evil elf kidnap the animals and take them to the graveyard while the party is in the keep. Bwahahaha.

Last edited:

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Victim said:
I never said they shouldn't be expensive. I was trying to figure out how to extrapolate the price for higher level mounts from the existing ones.

oops. I wish i Had an answer. Its something I was wondering about too.

I think I might have been meaning to qoate frank.

Last edited:

Remove ads