D&D General Most Memorable Party Win

R_J_K75

Legend
everyone was laughing so hard they just didn't care. New characters,
Your post reminded me of this, IDW. We were sitting around while I read and prepped the next adventure having a few beers. Everyone knows that guy that would roll up PC after PC but but used maybe 2 of them. Its a Tuesday night pickup game and Im prepping, need a half hour before its game time. Guys rolling up a character, knocks over his beer onto the character sheet hes working on. Crumbles it up and says, "well, that one died of alcohol poisoning" threw it in the trash and grabbed another set of 6siders.

auburn2

Adventurer
Hi all. Just curious as to what is your group's most memorable "win"? Was it a random encounter that turned sour? A Boss fight that was truly epic? A lucky die roll that completely up-ended the carefully planned campaign?

Mine came way back in 1st Edition. I was running the original I6 - Ravenloft. At the beginning of the module, Strahd is supposed to show up and harass the party at times and locations of his choosing. I decide to have him attack the inn they are staying in with some wolves and bats, drawing them out to the courtyard. Strahd is nearby, observing. The party exits the inn and Strahd basically warns them away.

That's when the mage casts Sepia Snake Sigil. " If it is successful in striking, the victim is engulfed in a shimmering amber field of force, frozen and immobilized until the caster releases the dweomer or until a dispel magic spell does so. Until then, nothing can get at the victim, move the shimmering force surrounding him or her, or otherwise affect the field or the victim. The victim does not age grow hungry, sleep or regain spells when in this state, and is not aware of his or her surroundings."
As we rolled in the open, I was forced to make the save. Of all the times for the d20 to roll a 2! Duration of the spell? Until the caster opts to release the victim or someone else is successful in casting a Dispel Magic.

The party waited until high noon and release the spell. Scratch one vampire. 🤯

That spell was subsequently banned from use at the table.
As a PC, my most memorable fight is the original Ravenloft too! I don't know if it is really a win though.

Back in the 80s playing the original Ravenloft module. Several of strad's minor vampires nearly wiped out our party, three of the survivors (1 mage (me) and 2 fighters) fled the battle up a spiral staircase, it went up, up, up like 300 feet vampires in pursuit. We get to the top and as it was a dead end with a bunch of barrels of oil in it. We spike the door to hold the vampires, one of the fighters (a dwarf) chops through the roof of the tower which was rickity and had holes in it, the wizard and other fighter break open one of the barrels of oil and dump it on the floor. The Vampires are banging on the door. The dwarf gets a hole in the roof and we all jump down to the next tower which is like 200 feet below us. I cast feather fall on myself, one of the fighters dies from the fall, he only had a few hps left. The Dwarf takes I think 20d6 if I remember correctly and barely survives. We then lit up the tower with something and blew the roof off of it.

The two of us left the castle as the only survivors in the party. We did not finish the adventure.

As a DM my most memorable fight is in Dragon Lance. There was an NPC that joined the party named serinda or something. She was an elf magic-user or F/MU, I can't remember which. What I do remember is she had a wand of fireballs and regularly miscalcualted and fireballed party members, including herself. Pretty much if the fight started getting tough at all she would let loose. Well she cast a fireball inside a ship that was not big enough to even contain it. She centered it on an enemy that was at the time 10 feet from her. The ship sank (I think it had to sink in the story any way) and basically that is the last thing the party remembered before waking up on the ocean floor. I can just remember one of the PCs being SO, SO angry when I said serinda pulls out her wand of fireballs.

Last edited:

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Maybe Demogorgon, final boss of the Savage Tide AP. We were LVL21, but it was a very long, very difficult fight. Most difficult campaign ever.

Oh god, easy one, the infamous-in-my-group "Massacre at the Funeral" in which my players basically destroyed the entire combined forces of The Steading of the Hill Giant Chief in something like 10-15 combat rounds in late 2E (post C&T and S&M).

As time goes on I've forgotten exactly what happened but it's something like:

1) The players manage to lure and kill the Hill Giant Chief's son in such a way that it appears to be a horrible accident (this took a lot of work and a lot of spells from the Elf Wizard).​

I'm not sure if they had a plan at this point, because the wizard's player, my brother, was extremely good at keeping his mouth shut about his plans, because he didn't want to tip me off.

2) The Thief, with his ring of invisibility and boots of elvenkind of (the quiet ones, whatever they're called) recons the Steading extensively, eventually only leaving because his player has become so freaked out by my detailed descriptions of giant-sized furniture and fittings.​

During this time he discovers the giants are planning a pyre-based funeral the next day. The players go to the other end of the sitting room and confer. I become a little worried, but I figure they'll just use this to determine exactly the disposition of forces in there so they can plan guerrilla assaults or whatever, or more likely, to try and sneak in and nick stuff, or just wait until the giants are drunk and attack then.

3) I work out how the funeral is going to go down, full honours, almost all the guards (orcs, ogres, etc. IIRC) - and all the adult male hill giants (and most of the women and kids too), then tons of feasting and drinking, and maybe some raids on the humans in his honour afterwards.​

The players have sent the Thief back in and got pretty much all the details, and the timing, but I was still in this delusion that they were just going to take mild advantage either sneaking in or waiting for drunken-ness.

I was very wrong.

4) The Wizard very carefully selects his spells to memorize (he wouldn't let me to see them, which I guess was fair enough, he has never cheated at a game in his life), and the Human Thief and the Dwarf Fighter/Speciality Priest of Clangeddin go through all their spoils from countless adventures for consumables.​

Was when I got a bit more worried. Again a lot of planning down the other end of the room.

5) The funeral commences, and I'm describing it in great detail - the PCs are basically whatever the maximum range of the spells involved were away (quite a long way, I want to say like 200 yards but I think it was less or maybe the wizard dimension door'd or something at one point), I can't remember where/how they were hiding, but it worked (possibly some sort of cave or artificial cave). Anyway, the orcs are formed up in ranks, a wild funeral oration is being given by the chest-beating, hair-tearing chief, the ogres are trying to shows some decorum, and so on.​

6) Then the BUFFENING begins. So many potions were drunk including Giant Strength potions. The potion miscibility table got a lot of rolls that day, but they all were positive or neutral. So many low-mid-level buffing spells were cast. Enlarge, Stoneskin, Invisibility amongst them. Haste I think got cast later. There was other consumable stuff too. Basically they blew most of what they'd been failing to use for like 10+ levels. Scrolls were involved. The Dwarf somehow ended up 24' tall.​

I was pretty much going "OH NO" at this point.

7) The wizard commenced bombardment, opening up with Fireballs (wiping out virtually all the orcs immediately) and as the giants and others started drawing weapons and running towards him, they found that they were surprised by two giant bastards, one of them coming out of invisibility and the CARNAGE oh god. The Dwarf is of course screaming about the "wrath of Clangeddin" and basically looks like the Avatar of Clangeddin at this point.​

It was horrific. Giants were dropping left right and centre. Some started to flee but got cut down or nuked. Admittedly it was 90% the F/SP and the Wizard, but I think the Thief had Improved Invisibility from something which helped him.

Some of them took longer to die, but no-one actually managed to reach the Wizard, and I'm not sure they even managed to damage the other PCs much thanks to Stoneskin.

8) After quite a few rounds of this (I guess 10-15, but it might be more or less), all the giant-side combatants are dead, and only the women and children, who ran back into the steading and formed what defences they could, are alive. The giants agree to give them their treasure and stop raiding demihuman lands for a hundred years (or something like that) if the PCs will just go away.​

I shorted them on the treasure, but they didn't seem to mind or notice. They'd already achieved a legendary and basically flawless victory which I had profoundly failed to see coming, so I can understand not caring. This is still brought up like every three-four sessions with those guys, 20+ years later.

Last edited:

Remove ads