• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Most Humiliating Way To Go

Weiley31

Legend
I'll accept pretty much kinda almost any death in DND, even though it sucks when it happens.

But I think the stupidest way to go is the "infamous" or those special kind of DMs who pretty much go "oh you rolled a Nat 1? You slippped, and hit the back of your head on the table. Your neck snaps instantly due to the impact of the fall."

No **** ouy.

nevin

Hero
Nope. 50 kobolds ambushed us. A few more crits than expected and a stupid mage who wanted to go toe to toe because they were just kobolds. 28 dead kobolds, one dead party

R_J_K75

Legend
I'll accept pretty much kinda almost any death in DND, even though it sucks when it happens.

But I think the stupidest way to go is the "infamous" or those special kind of DMs who pretty much go "oh you rolled a Nat 1? You slippped, and hit the back of your head on the table. Your neck snaps instantly due to the impact of the fall."

No **** ouy.
I've never had a DM be that ridiculous thank god. But I have died because the DM wasn't descriptive enough and ruled that my action(s) caused my death, even though I didn't have enough information to accurately assess the situation. We've all done it as DMs, forget an important detail or two, but the good ones fix it before it results in a character dying, the bad ones refuse to concede due to ego.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Player in an AD&D game decided to charge through a wall of fire a Pit Fiend had cast. She didn't survive the trip, and the Pit Fiend proceeded to animate her corpse and send her running back through the wall of fire to attack her friends. Player wasn't amused.

R_J_K75

Legend
Cannot remember if this is my party 30 years ago or urban legend I now believe is my party. Wizard wanted a cool familiar like a raven or monkey and casts find familiar only to get a toad. Upset, the wizard cries BS and steps on the toad to kill it and takes enough damage to kill himself.
See this is exactly why earlier editions were far superior in some respects to the ones that came after. First the player had absolutely no control over what familiar they got, and there were consequences if you found familiar and it died. I believe the same was said if you created a homunculus too but I could be wrong on that one.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
PCs were negotiating with cavemen for passage. They wanted to go further down into a cave network. It was taking sometime since the cavemen do no speak Common, but they were slowly nearing an agreement. One player (fighter) grew impatient, charged the cavemen and attacked one of them with his sword. The other players surprised me (DM). They pulled back and watched the cavemen kill the fighter! After, they negotiated passage by giving the leader some of the PCs precious possessions. That player learned a valuable lesson that day. Play like a jerk. Die alone like a jerk.

Oofta

Legend

No **** ouy.
Sadly had a DM like that. In addition, he had a D6 with body parts on it. If he rolled a crit (and he loved throwing mobs of low level monsters) he would roll to see where you were hit. Head? Decapitated. Body? Cut in half. So yeah, death by being decapitated by a kobold got really old fast.

R_J_K75

Legend
Sadly had a DM like that. In addition, he had a D6 with body parts on it. If he rolled a crit (and he loved throwing mobs of low level monsters) he would roll to see where you were hit. Head? Decapitated. Body? Cut in half. So yeah, death by being decapitated by a kobold got really old fast.
I had that same die. Rarely if ever used it. The idea behind it was to add suspense to combat. A natural 20/crit is not going to lop off someones arm, head, leg or any other body part. The rule, (which was optional), was that you had to make a called shot at a very extreme negative to the attack roll and even if you hit you had to do I think a quarter of the targets hit dice to actually do enough damage for the target to lose an extremity. The critical hit table I remember was from Combat & Tactics and pretty sure it only hobbled a leg, rendered an arm useless, etc. When we used those rules it was across the board so everyone had an even chance of doing critical damage, etc. Even then it got old quick, and we started to just use it in extreme circumstances. I could see if the DM is just arbitrarily rolling a dice to chop off an 8th level players head by a kobold they're missing the point.

As a player, it was in Role Master. I was an archmage of level 25. We are surprised by a bunch of goblins. They shoot arrows at us but I dont care, they have a -300% to hit me.

The Master start to roll an insane number of open rolls over 95% one the only goblin yhat shoots me with his arrow. Story? Barely enough to get a crit and that crit turns out to be a 66... insta death... The Master killed 3 of 5 characters with crit with these goblins... We stopped playing RM then and there.

As a DM. Tomb of horror. A certain devil face with an open mouth. A whole group down because they thought it was a teleport...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads