• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More than one familiar?

Kmart Kommando

First Post
No one ever sees a familiar until it's scouting time, then the bat in the cave arouses suspicion. Ditto the rat in the dungeon. Maybe someone just really likes their pets and made them immune to fire with any number of common spells.

If some dude is swinging a glowing sword and throwing damage spells around, and has a bat flying around him, who looks more dangerous?
Even if there's a sorcerer or wizard running around with a ferret on their shoulder, if the animal isn't really doing anything offensive, you'd have to be meta-gaming to think that the animal is a priority target. "Should I kill the guy who is raining down fire and killing us by the dozen, or should I take pot shots at the fuzzy critter?"

The loss of XP is a meta-game concept, characters shouldn't know that killing the fuzzy pets = XP sinkhole.

Patlin

Explorer
It's fairly easy for a Cerebromancer to wind up with both a psicrystal and a familiar, which are similar to each other.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thurbane said:
Would having levels in more than one class that gets a familiar let you have more than one?

No.

In the special case of obtaining a familiar, both wizards and sorcerers have the same ability. A sorcerer/wizard stacks his sorcerer and wizard levels to determine the familiar’s natural armor, Intelligence score, and special abilities.

-Hyp.

Pell-Mell

First Post
The Dragon Magazine article referenced above is "A Little More Familiar" in Dragon Magazine #280. It includes a feat called "Extra Familiar".

Ender_rpm

First Post
I was pondering htis very subject after a quick rewatching of "Little Mermaid" this weekend :) A Flotsam and Jetsam like pair would be awesome, maybe a pair of ravens that deliver messages to the PCs as they sleep, or keep the spell casters up all night. Or just a pair of roving cats, running away as soon as they see the PCs, but alerting the BBEG to their prescence. And with the new Imbue Familiar with Spelllike ability spell, it could get even more fun than that. Invis IS only a 2nd level spell.... ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads