• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook makes a statement about the OGL and MCG license

They really aren't though. Games generally compete in niches, because gamers that aren't playing D&D are looking for a specific experience and style of game. So Delta Green competes to some degree with Night's Black Agents, but not TORG or ICONS.
But now we're talking about the niche of games that are "D&D" but aren't published by WotC. There's probably only room for one contender in that niche. If it isn't big it isn't "D&D"!

mamba

Legend
But now we're talking about the niche of games that are "D&D" but aren't published by WotC. There's probably only room for one contender in that niche. If it isn't big it isn't "D&D"!
that niche might be getting bigger just about now, even if there can only be one bigger contender in there, it is worth being that one

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The entire OSR scene, which is made up of dozens of games, several of which appear to support at least a few full-time employees, are D&D-like games that aren't D&D.

This is not a new thing.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The entire OSR scene, which is made up of dozens of games, several of which appear to support at least a few full-time employees, are D&D-like games that aren't D&D.

This is not a new thing.
And if the OSR was going to eat D&D's lunch, it would have done it already. It's been literally 20 years.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
And if the OSR was going to eat D&D's lunch, it would have done it already. It's been literally 20 years.
OK, but I wasn't asserting it was. But also, why is that the metric? Surviving and thriving isn't sufficient for an RPG, it has to destroy D&D?

There are lots of non-D&D gamers very happily playing Traveller, Savage Worlds, PbtA games, etc. and more. If you want to do something other than D&D, you don't need it to be played by millions of people to be able to find other players and have a continual flow of stuff to play.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
(also I really assumed he had a beard!)
He did! At least once (but I’m pretty sure more than once)

911B50AC-793F-461C-B60F-7939D6815F99.jpeg

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
OK, but I wasn't asserting it was. But also, why is that the metric? Surviving and thriving isn't sufficient for an RPG, it has to destroy D&D?

There are lots of non-D&D gamers very happily playing Traveller, Savage Worlds, PbtA games, etc. and more. If you want to do something other than D&D, you don't need it to be played by millions of people to be able to find other players and have a continual flow of stuff to play.
You brought up the idea that there needs to be one "contender" for the not-D&D spot, unless I misunderstood you (which is certainly possible, as it is late and there are too many of these threads).

overgeeked

B/X Known World

The enthusiasm of the players (and a bit of imagination) are more than enough to carry any game through for years. Things like dice and shiny books are extras, not necessities.

Retreater

Legend
I think the real danger will come from people who will attempt to create a "5e heartbreaker" - something specifically designed to fill the niche that 5e currently fills. Cypher has its fans, DCC has its fans, PF2 has its fans. Of course there can be overlap.
One in hand is worth two in the bush - I think that's the expression.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads