• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsters w/ Levels

doktorstick

First Post
Howdy.

A goblin is a d8 HD creature. If it takes class levels, does it use the hit die of that class? My guess is--yes. So a L1 goblin sorceror would have d4 hitpoints.

Do monsters with class levels typically follow that they get max hitpoints at 1st level and normal HD thereafter? My guess is--no. Really only the PCs follow this because they are the _true_ heroes.

Thanks.
/ds

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
Yes.

I personally don't like that second thought.

Otherwise you have a 1st level bugbear fighter with 2, 3 hps. Yes, how challanging.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
All single hitdice creatures with advancement listed as "by character class" replace their default hit die with their class hit die if they have a class level. Critters with more than one hit die keep their monster hit dice.

Eg: Goblin Wizard 1 = 1d4
Gnoll Wizard 1 = 2d8+1d4

Sorry, can't give you a specific reference right now.

Gromm

First Post
A goblin sorceror would get max hp at 1st level (as per the NPC section fo the DMG).
Most goblins are 1st Level Warriors (NPC class) and get 1d8. It seems like NPC classes don't start with max hps, whereas PC classed NPCs do.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
doktorstick said:
Howdy.

A goblin is a d8 HD creature. If it takes class levels, does it use the hit die of that class? My guess is--yes. So a L1 goblin sorceror would have d4 hitpoints.

Yeppers

Do monsters with class levels typically follow that they get max hitpoints at 1st level and normal HD thereafter? My guess is--no. Really only the PCs follow this because they are the _true_ heroes.

Monsters with more than 1 HD treat their HD as "monster levels." When you add class levels, it is treated as multiclassing. So, no they don't get max hp for their first class level (and neither do they get the x4 skill points for taking their first level in a class either). Check page 24 in the DMG.

Ryan Koppenhaver

First Post
Gromm said:
It seems like NPC classes don't start with max hps, whereas PC classed NPCs do.

While this is often the case in practice, it's not necessarily true. Check out DMG page 48, "Elite and Average Characters".

Elites (whether they are PCs or not) roll above-average ability scores and automatically get maximum hit points from their first Hit Die. Average characters, on the other hand, roll average abilities (3d6) and don't get maximum hit points from their first Hit Die.

Gromm

First Post
You're right, too lazy too look it up.

If said goblin has better than average stats (ie along the lines of the NPCs in the DMG), then he gets max hps. If hes got regular goblin stats and some levels in something other than warrior he still has to roll (or take the average like regular goblins).

And while slightly off topic, if your PCs start thinking goblins are soft and squishy throw a pack of goblin barbarians at them. You'd be surprised how much damage they can deal to a party, especially if they just think "Wow more goblin rogues, should be easy."

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
I wonder what D&D would be like if it didn't have this "1st level replaces monster HD" rule for 1HD creatures. It would solve a few warts to do with how D&D doesn't scale well at really low (and really high) power levels.

1st level human commoner: 1d8 + 1d4 HD (7 hp), Fort +2, 15 skill points.

Cat: 1/2d8 HD (2 hp).

Check it out, the commoner can now take out the cat! :cool:

Last edited:

Remove ads