• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

monsters as races conversions

Gilwen

Explorer
Anyone have any guidelines or come across any guidelines for converting monsters into PC races?

I'm thinking of running a few games where we flip the standard assumptions of the game and play from the opposite point of view...namely the monsters. so instead of protecting the caravan we are looting!

I want ot make more monster races available other than the ones that have bene officially converted.

This was a ton of fun with Savage Species in 3e so looking forward to doing it in 4e.

Gil

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Players Options: Monstrous Heroes would be a very nice book to see. Maybe someday...

But, while we wait, any monsters you have in mind? A family perhaps like goblins or yuan-ti?

BTW, mentioning those seems like a perfect time to suggest you go check out the webcomic, "Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes." It's a wonderful read.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Please elaborate on what these "obvious reasons" may be; as I am missing them for some reason. Allowing players to play updated monsters as races wouldn't be a problem like letting them play monsters straight from the MM might be. Take Yuan-ti for an example. You could do something like...
[sblock=Yuan-ti]+2 Intelligence, +2 Strength or +2 Dexterity
Medium
7 squares
Low-light vision

Common, Draconic
+2 Arcana, +2 Acrobatics
Poison Resistance: You have resist poison 5 + one-half your level.
Slither: When making skill checks, you can move at your full speed without suffering penalties.
Prehensile Tail: Choose the crushing coils or cobra shift power.
Crushing Coils Yuan-ti racial power
You whip your tail out and grab an enemy.
Encounter
Standard Action Melee 1
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength +2 or Dexterity +2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Strength or Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is grabbed. You get a +2 bonus to resist the target's escape.
Level 11: Strength +4 or Dexterity +4, and you get a +3 bonus to resist the target's escape.
Level 21: Strength +6 or Dexterity +6, 2d6 + Strength or Dexterity modifier damage, and you get a +4 bonus to resist the target's escape.

Cobra Shift Yuan-ti racial power

You flex powerful muscles in your tail and quickly move out of the way of danger.
Encounter
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: A creature hits you with an attack
Effect: You get a +4 bonus to defenses against the attack. If the attack misses you, you can shift 1 square as a free action.[/sblock][sblock=Ogre]+2 Strength, +2 Constitution or +2 Wisdom
Medium
6 squares
Normal vision

Common, Giant
+2 Athletics, +2 Intimidate
Powerful Throw: You can use your Strength when making a basic attack with any thrown weapon. You also get a +2 proficiency bonus to attacks with improvised thrown weapons, and such weapons deal 1d6 + Strength modifier damage on a hit.
Brawler: Make improvised attacks (including unarmed attacks) as if you were armed with a club.
Large Combatant: You have the large combatant power.

Large Combatant Ogre Racial Power
You are smaller than your savage cousins, but still large enough that it counts.
Encounter
Free Action Personal
Effect: Increase the melee reach or range of your next attack by 1, or begin a burst or blast from any adjacent square.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I think his "obvious reasons" is that WotC has previously stated that it has no intention of releasing anymore "monstrous" races.

Which I agree is too bad... my campaign could really use an official kobold race.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
I think his "obvious reasons" is that WotC has previously stated that it has no intention of releasing anymore "monstrous" races.

Which I agree is too bad... my campaign could really use an official kobold race.
Aw; I did miss that previously. I'll have to look it up, but that sucks. I can understand not seeing more in the MM's, and it's likely they mean only to that extent. They probably want to focus on full write-ups and MM monstrous races don't get that treatment. I'll probably still hold out hope, weak though it may be.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads