Monk Items stacking

Hyperfist

First Post
I need help on this. I am contemplating using a Monk's Belt from the DMG 3.5 and a Monk's Tattoo from Magic of Faerun. The issue are benefits.

The Monk's Belt increases AC and unarmed strike damage as if the monk were 5 levels higher.

The Monk's Tattoo increases AC, unarmed strike damage, and speed as if the monk were 4 levels higher.

Do the AC and unarmed strike damage stack from these two items?

I am thinking that they don't. I want to know what everyone else thinks.

Thanks

Slaved

First Post
Unless they state that they do not Stack they should! :D :D :D

You could also get a Fanged Ring from Dragon Magic or if you can find a way to Use it a Battlefist from Eberron. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Aidan Milvus

First Post
My first thought was no, but after looking at both, I'm leaning towards yes. They have different prerequisites, one requires spells, the other just that the maker is at least a 10th lvl monk. And the fact that the monk's tattoo states it doesn't stack with another monk's tattoo, and not that it doesn't stack with other effects that increase effective level of these abilities, also leads me to believe this.

Slaved: What ring are you talking about? I searched in Dragon Magic, Races of the Dragon, and the Draconimicon, and found no reference to a Fanged Ring. There is a Ring of Draconic Zeal in Dragon Magic... Is that what you meant? Or did you mean another book?

Hyperfist

First Post
I was thinking the same thinking. But I was being conservative in my thinking. Considering that it would give a the unarmed damage a +9 level boost and the AC as well, seemed too good to be true.

Slaved

First Post
Aidan Milvus said:
My first thought was no, but after looking at both, I'm leaning towards yes. They have different prerequisites, one requires spells, the other just that the maker is at least a 10th lvl monk. And the fact that the monk's tattoo states it doesn't stack with another monk's tattoo, and not that it doesn't stack with other effects that increase effective level of these abilities, also leads me to believe this.

Slaved: What ring are you talking about? I searched in Dragon Magic, Races of the Dragon, and the Draconimicon, and found no reference to a Fanged Ring. There is a Ring of Draconic Zeal in Dragon Magic... Is that what you meant? Or did you mean another book?

They are Separate Items and each Boosts Effective Monk Level so I do not see why they would not Stack. Just like two Different Items that Boost Caster Level would Stack.

I am sorry about not Referencing the Item better. It is in Dragon Magic but it is not listed well, it is under the Dragon Scale section and located on page 101.

Slaved

First Post
Hyperfist said:
I was thinking the same thinking. But I was being conservative in my thinking. Considering that it would give a the unarmed damage a +9 level boost and the AC as well, seemed too good to be true.

I am away from a Magic of Faerun book so I do not know the Price of the Monk Tattoo. :( :( :( :(

A +9 Level Boost to Unarmed Damage is only about +2 to +4 Extra Average Damage and up to +2 Bonus to Armor Class. I would not begrudge a Monk that! :D :D :D

Hyperfist

First Post
Slaved said:
I am away from a Magic of Faerun book so I do not know the Price of the Monk Tattoo. :( :( :( :(

The Monk's Tattoo is about 80,000gp. Part of the reason is it doesn't take up a body slot I guess.

That fanged ring is nice. Currently my monk/kensai has hands that are +5 frost/wounding/forceful. So I think that would work out pretty well.

Slaved

First Post
80,000????? And it only adds +4 Effective Monk Levels for Armor Class, Unarmed Strike, and Speed for that Price Tag????

By the time a Character can even afford that they are probably getting little to no Benefit from the Unarmed Strike portion anyway.

I would hope you could find better Items to get for that Cost!!

In case it helps any I also like the Rings of Force Armor in the Magic Item Compendium. They are fun! :D :D :D

I also like the Gauntlets of the Talon from Complete Divine but they have a steep Secondary Cost and your Dungeon Master may rule that they cannot be used with your existing Kensai Bonuses.

Slaved

First Post
If you are going BIG though why not go Custom? :D :D :D

Skin of Perfection
Price: 79,000 Gold Pieces
Body Slot: Psychoactive Skin
Caster Level: 11th
Aura: Moderate (Difficulty Class 20) Transmutation
Activation: Swift (Mental)
Weight: -

This first appears as a blue tinted, nearly transparent, and virtually weightless ball of goo. When a Character dons the Psychoactive Skin it changes its Physical Properties based on the one who wears it, but only if that Character has Training as a Monk.

Only a Character with at least 3 Monk Levels gains any Benefits from this item. Effective Levels from Items such as the Monks Belt do not meet this Prerequisite.

When such a Character Wears this Item its Physical Appearance Shifts as follows
Lawful - The skin solidifies its Color to whatever Color that the Wearer desires upon first wearing it and it will not Shift again unless the Characters Alignment Changes. The Brightness/Darkness of the Color depends on the Good/Evil below.
Neutral - The Original Color is Retained. The Brightness/Darkness of the Color depends on the Good/Evil below.
Chaotic - The skins Color changes with the Wearers Mood. The Brightness/Darkness of the Color depends on the Good/Evil below.
Good - The Color is Bright and Lively.
Neutral - The Color is a Pure Tone with excess in neither Brightness or Darkness.
Evil - The Color is Dark and Sinister.

After Shifting its Color and Tone over 24 hours the Wearer gains further Benefits as follows
+4 Enhancement Bonus to all Ability Scores
Add the new Charisma Scores Bonus to Unarmed Strike Damage, as an Effective Monk Level to Armor Class Bonus and Unarmored Speed Bonus, and the Characters number of Stunning Fist uses per day if they have that ability
Gain use of the Feats Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike) and Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike) if the Character did not have them already

While gaining these Benefits the Character may not Benefit from the Effective Monk Levels of other items for Armor Class Bonus or Unarmed Speed Bonus unless they exceed the Bonus granted by this Item.

Folly

First Post
80,000 is steep, even for a slotless item. Given that the monk's belt gives almost the same effect for 13k. Converting it to a slotless item, increases the cost to 26k. That leaves a difference of 54k. After taking into account the slotless increase the difference in cost is 27k. 27k for the ability to move faster seems a bit too pricey.

Remove ads