• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mongoose: Monster Credits in Seas of Blood?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Who did the monsters for Seas of Blood? I haven't seen it or read it but was curious if it was one or some of our illustrious "monster folks" at EN World.

NLP

First Post
I'd like to know this as well. I enjoyed reading the book and thought that many of the monsters were very interesting. I'm looking forward to getting the goblin and elves ships books as well because of this book.

Mongoose Alex

First Post
You have not bought the book! For shame, go forth and do so.

The monsters were drawn by Judy Perrin and Stephen Shepherd, both of who have provided illustrations for many of our other books.

Alex

Richards

Legend
Actually, I believe the question is whether they were written by Matthew Sprange or by someone else. I know Scott Greene and Erica Balsley of Creature Catalog fame had a hand in the monsters from "Necromancy: Beyond the Grave," and that's probably what's driving the question.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This might have been addressed already... but we were amazed that in an otherwise fun book, no one caught the blatant art mistakes on the cover! In addition to sails and flags billowing in different directions, those rowers are actually sitting backwards from how they *should* be sitting. I gather that the artist hasn't spent much time in boats, eh? :)

Of course, the cover has no impact on the quality of the content, but I'm curious as to Mongoose's reaction when they noticed the same thing.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Piratecat said:
This might have been addressed already... but we were amazed that in an otherwise fun book, no one caught the blatant art mistakes on the cover! In addition to sails and flags billowing in different directions, those rowers are actually sitting backwards from how they *should* be sitting. I gather that the artist hasn't spent much time in boats, eh? :)

Of course, the cover has no impact on the quality of the content, but I'm curious as to Mongoose's reaction when they noticed the same thing.

As for the sails and flags billowing in different directions...the warship in the background closing on the galley in foreground obviously has a magic user of some kind aboard, as demonstrated by the greenish flare. Therefore, its not such a leap of reasoning to assume that the sails on the ship are billowing as a result of magically generated winds. So that 'error' can be reasoned out a little.

But youre right...I never noticed it before but the rowers are pointing the wrong way. Or are they?

I think they are facing the RIGHT way, with their backs to the bow, while the captain pointing off to the right is merely directing the catapult to fire at something to the stern of the ship rather than directing the movemen of the ship itself.

This can also be explained by the fact that the rower in the lower right corner seems to be illuminated by reddish light coming from in front of and above him...perhaps from another fiery catapult blast shot from whatever the captain is pointing to?

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Hmm...wait a minute...youre right...all of the other galleys have the catapult in the stern...so the rowers on the cover are facing the wrong way...

Oops...

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Though our names are missing from the credits, the monsters in Seas of Blood were written and designed by Erica and me.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
EricNoah said:
Who did the monsters for Seas of Blood? I haven't seen it or read it but was curious if it was one or some of our illustrious "monster folks" at EN World.

You are most correct Sir. :) Erica and I wrote them.

Remove ads