• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mithral bucklers: A Bard's/Rogue's/Sorcerer's/Wizard's best friend...

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Has anybody else thought of this?

Using some mithral we found during an adventure, my Halfling Rogue/Abjurer had a Mithral Buckler +1 made for himself.

Now, the nice thing about a mithral buckler (or a mithral small shield, though I'd rather have the use of the off-hand, than the ability to bash with a shield), is that it has no arcane spell failure, no armor check penalty and no max dex penalty.

Anyone, even arcane spellcasters, or those who are not proficient in shield use can use one without penalty. Not to mention that mithral items are automatically considered Masterwork, and therefore can easily be enchanted.

Aside from the rarity of mithral, and the inherent cost of building with it, are there any downsides I'm missing here?

Crothian

First Post
Actually, Monte said that was done on purpose I think. Personally, it can be helpful, but I think the restrictions on rarity and cost to make it macical is all the restriction you need. The only think I can think of is do you need one or two hands to cast?

Valicor

First Post
its pretty useful for an additional +6 AC, provided you enhancet to +5. The only thing that is bad, is if your spell caster draws a weapon, he's either gonna have to give up his ac, bonus or drop is weapo to cast.

Still a very good item, added in with those bracers of armour, and high dex.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
I'd always assumed one free hand to cast a spell... Not that that it's official, but in practice, every Wizard has cast a spell with something held in one hand, be it dagger, staff, crossbow, wand, potion, torch or blind kobold.

I was just a little surprised that I haven't seen more Rogue or Wizard-types using them. I haven't seen it at all, though there's plenty of people with mithral chain shirts running around.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Valicor said:
its pretty useful for an additional +6 AC, provided you enhancet to +5. The only thing that is bad, is if your spell caster draws a weapon, he's either gonna have to give up his ac, bonus or drop is weapo to cast.

What does it take to transfer a weapon to a different hand? The buckler hand can hold and even wield a weapon. For that matter, if you can weild a weapon in your off-hand buckler hand, why not cast a spell with the buckler hand?

Valicor

First Post
The reason it isn't as common place is, It is not a popular or well known piece of information. Everyone knows about Mithril Shirts, from 2nd edition Elven Chain. As people spend more time in 3e idea's liek this one will become more well known, and common place though, I bet

Valicor

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:

What does it take to transfer a weapon to a different hand?

Quick Draw?, Move Evuivelent liek drawign a weapon? not sure

Jack Haggerty said:
The buckler hand can hold and even wield a weapon. For that matter, if you can weild a weapon in your off-hand buckler hand, why not cast a spell with the buckler hand?

To cast from the buckler hand, you would have to shift from using it as defensive (sheild) to offensive (casting). So you would have to give ac up, you could reinstate AC next roudn though.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Valicor said:
The bracers of armor will not stack with the buckler. Both are armor bonuses. The only armor bonuses that stack with each other are shields and suits of armor. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads