• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Misfortune Cards: A DM Advantage Product

Korgoth

First Post
Here's my idea for a new collectible card system to sell to DMs everywhere: Misfortune Cards. Show those annoying players who's boss! A few sample "Interrupt" cards follow:

Banana Peel (C): Move Action Interrupt. Target PC slips on a banana peel and falls prone into any adjacent hex. Target may roll an immediate Saving Throw to avoid going over a precipice.

Friendly Fire (U): Attack Action Interrupt. Target PC ranged attack's target is nullified; you choose a new target ally or square instead. Attack is rolled as normal.

Critical Ouch! (R): Attack Action Interrupt. Target PC melee attack misses intended target and hits the PC making the attack instead. This hit is automatically a Critical and damage is resolved as normal.

And some "Reaction" cards:

Reinforcements (C): Minion Mortality Reaction. Within 5-10 squares of target deceased minion, 5 identical copies of this minion appear and will act at the previous minion's initiative.

Elven Inaccuracy (U): Reroll Result Reaction. Target reroll must be rerolled again; a -4 penalty applies to this roll.

Healing Tsunami (R): Monster Injury Reaction. Restore target monster to its full HP value, effective immediately.

Whaddaya think, sirs?

Dykstrav

Adventurer
It's a step in the right direction. One of my biggest beefs with fortune cards is my opinion that "fortune" shouldn't always favor the characters. I'd use 'em.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Does 4e have a concentration checks? Cause a random "dropping" card that forces a spell caster to make a concentration check would be an awesome card to use (especially for a rat bastard dm).

Also a "Intercepted Prayer" card would be awesome. That being a card that causes a random god to intercede on a prayer / divine spell to hilarious effects.

Cleric: <Pulls out "Random Dropping" Card>"I cast true reserection on our Fighter's dead body!"
GM: Suddently there is a mass bird die off in the area and a sparrow falls on your head. Roll concentration.
Cleric: <Rolls dice> "..... I rolled a one..."
GM: " Ok... Your prayer is answered.." <Pulls out" Intercepted Prayer" card then rolls dice> "... by Nerull. The group's fighter is raised as a death knight. Roll init."

shadzar

Banned
Banned
Easy Come, Easy Go (R): Using a fortune card can only be done if at less that or equal to 10 HP. Use of a fortune card above that is allowed, but sets your HP to 10. This card remains in play for the remaining duration of the encounter

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Y'know... Maybe I could allow fortune cards and then use them myself for the monsters as well as the PCs? That'd be fair, wouldn't it?

I'm looking forward to the Rat-Bastard DM Expansion. Here is a Spoiler...

Edition Drain - Target character makea a saving throw versus fortitude (or death). If he fails, he must reroll the character using the previous edition's character creation rules.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I'm looking forward to the Rat-Bastard DM Expansion. Here is a Spoiler...

Edition Drain - Target character makea a saving throw versus fortitude (or death). If he fails, he must reroll the character using the previous edition's character creation rules.

Add: If playing first edition, then make a character based on a random retroclone.

Or for more fun make one that the character is made up of the rules for the NEXT edition.

And if the player gets anything wrong, call them a cheater and boot them from your game.

Remove ads