• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Meta-magic question

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
So I had a question about the Empower metamagic option for sorcerer. I didn't take time to look too closely (I read the Empowered Spell paragraphs), I wonder about my ruling.

Sorcerer was in a pretty clutch situation, prone (after having been healed from unconscious) with three assassins standing over him. I ruled he could get them all in a Burning Hands. He rolled a bit poorly and used Empowered spell to basically reroll all. He asked if he could roll again. I checked the ES text and ruled as long as he spent the point, he could reroll until they were gone. He rolled 2 more times (3 points in all) until he got triple 6 for damage.

Now I look back and on the previous page, under Metamagic, it says you can only use one Metamagic option on a spell when you cast it. But...he was using Empower the whole time, so it wasn't like he was trying to use two options. And Empower Spell says you can use it even if you have already cast another Metamagic option.

So just wondering if my ruling was right. He did spend the points for each roll.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Rules as written, I interpret, no, he shpuld not have been able to.
Rules as Intended, I think it does break the game a little bit to allow multiple rerolls.
Rules as Fun, did he enjoy the result? Was no ome disappointed by your ruling? If so, then there's nothing to discuss. Carry on!

SunGold

First Post
[Link]

tmp_19607-149291519688911914656047.jpg

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Oh, and everyone at the table loved those triple sixes. Even if it didn't save them in the end! Lol

There's nothing like getting an awesome roll, especially when the chips are down. I think a big reason diceless RPGs have never really taken off is that they lack the capacity to produce that sensation.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Y'know, I think I'm going to houserule in that you can anyway. Because that's awesome, metamagic could use the buff, and it's not like it's free.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads