• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Memory Tungsten

gamecat

Explorer
6fqq80i.jpg

Memory Tungsten

The Memory Tungsten is a piece of a common hard drive, strung up with beads, and worn around the neck, taking up the amulet slot on a character.

The residual "memory" of a hard drive still resides in the chunk of tungsten at the end of it, and it is so ensorceled with a sympathy for the school of Abjuration. It is set up as a boon to those prone to counterspelling, as it recalls the techniques so used by the wearer.

Whenever the wearer of a Memory Tungsten successfully counters a spell using dispel magic, the tungsten "stores" the memory, and grants a +1 bonus to future uses of dispel magic to counter the exact spell. This bonus is cumulative, with a maximum of +4 for a given spell. A Memory Tungsten can hold memories for up to eight different spells, and once full, the wearer may choose whether or not to let the amulet "forget" an existing spell to store counterspell techniques for a different spell.
Moderate Abjuration; Caster Level: 11th; Craft Wonderous Item, dispel magic; Market Value 12,500 gp.

Questions, comments, death threats?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
gamecat said:
The Memory Tungsten is a piece of a common hard drive
[...]
Moderate Abjuration; Caster Level: 11th; Craft Wonderous Item, dispel magic; Market Value 12,500 gp.

Questions, comments, death threats?
How do I get hard drives and gold pieces? :) (What game is this for?)

-- N

gamecat

Explorer
To be honest:

My setting is called "Reality". It's the real world in a four-colored expression that's slightly more fantastic.

Fluff is fluff, rules are rules - I'm more concerned if this item is mechanically sound.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Seems okay, given the relative uselessness of Counterspelling in D&D. It'd be fairly easy to charge up during downtime (unless the spells you wish to gain a bonus against are expensive in some way).

Cheers, -- N

gamecat

Explorer
I figured as much.

That said, counterspelling does suck in d&d.

So, perhaps it's another thread, but, Nifft, how would you go about fixing it?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
gamecat said:
I figured as much.

That said, counterspelling does suck in d&d.
:) "You gain a +4 bonus to sucking!"

gamecat said:
So, perhaps it's another thread, but, Nifft, how would you go about fixing it?
That's a question I've been struggling with.

There's a bunch of drama you get in fiction where the hero "creates an opening" and thus gets to use his cool spy toy / magic spell / ninja move / robot chicken / whatever.

The point of that would be: he couldn't use his cool special thingy earlier in the fight, because his foe could have easily countered it. Thus, counterspelling should be something that happens early and often, and being unable to counterspell should be the equivalent of being magically flanked or flat-footed.

I've got some concrete ideas, but they involve turning the whole magic system on its head (and ironically making it more Vancian), but that is for another -- and far future -- thread. :)

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads