• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MCDM's New Tactical TTRPG Hits $1M Crowdfunding On First Day!

Tactical TTRPG focuses on heroes fighting monsters with a combat-oriented system.

t1711elj9hc26fn0vriuji65m5mp.jpeg

Matt Colville's MCDM is no stranger to crowdfunding, with three million dollar Kickstarters already under its belt. With the launch of The MCDM RPG, that makes four!

This new game is not a D&D variant or a supplement for D&D, which is what MCDM has focussed on so far. This is an all-new game which concentrates on tactical play, with a fulfilment goal of July 2025. It comes in two books--a 400-page 'Heroes' book and a 'Monsters' book which is an adaption of the existing Flee, Mortals!

The game takes aim at traditional d20 fantasy gaming, referring to the burden of 'sacred cows from the 1970s', but point out that it's not a dungeon crawling or exploration game--its core activity is fighting monsters. The system is geared towards tactical combat--you roll 2d6, add an attribute, and do that damage; there's no separate attack roll.

At $40 for the base Heroes PDF and $70 for the hardcover (though there are discounts for both books if you buy them together), it's not a cheap buy-in, but with over 4,000 backers already that's not deterring anybody!

Even more ambitiously, one of the stretch goals is a Virtual Tabletop (VTT). There's already a working prototype of it.

Tactician.png
Kits.png

Retreater

Legend
What annoys me is poorly copy-edited material that feels rushed. For example, I'm a big fan of Frog God Games lost lands setting. They give a lot attention to the physical quality of their books. But it seems more often than not, they are riddled with typos, map mistakes, and other issues that indicate insufficient investment of time and money into copy editing.

MCDM, in my experience does a good job, other than the Kingdoms and Warfare blank page issue that I just heard about, because I didn't back that one.
It's been a year and a half since I followed this information, but I think I'm right about this...
They got proofs that they approved. The proofs didn't contain that "blank page error." Then they did another printing - actually putting the pages in the binding - that one MDCM did approve (but it had the "blank page error.")
So they got one proof that was "good" then a later proof was bad and it wasn't caught.
I at least think I'm right about that.
That said, I have backed every project MCDM has done. Kingdoms and Warfare is fine - even if the "sticker solution" just makes the page look and feel a little "off."

darjr

I crit!
It's been a year and a half since I followed this information, but I think I'm right about this...
They got proofs that they approved. The proofs didn't contain that "blank page error." Then they did another printing - actually putting the pages in the binding - that one MDCM did approve (but it had the "blank page error.")
So they got one proof that was "good" then a later proof was bad and it wasn't caught.
I at least think I'm right about that.
That said, I have backed every project MCDM has done. Kingdoms and Warfare is fine - even if the "sticker solution" just makes the page look and feel a little "off."
Did you apply it? I don’t think I would. I didn’t back K&W.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The page issue is silly. They gave you a sticker if you wanted. It has zero effect on the value of the product. The fact people bring this up amazes me.

Retreater

Legend
The page issue is silly. They gave you a sticker if you wanted. It has zero effect on the value of the product. The fact people bring this up amazes me.
It's a minor issue, sure, but it could've been a bigger one if...
1) No sticker was made
2) No errata was made
3) I put my sticker on incorrectly, it folded in the process, etc.
4) The sticker curls, attaches to the opposite page and damages it

So I'm glad they took care of it they way they did. And I think it was a lesson learned that they still consider to this day. So I bet it's not a "silly issue" to MCDM.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It's a minor issue, sure, but it could've been a bigger one if...
1) No sticker was made
2) No errata was made
3) I put my sticker on incorrectly, it folded in the process, etc.
4) The sticker curls, attaches to the opposite page and damages it

So I'm glad they took care of it they way they did. And I think it was a lesson learned that they still consider to this day. So I bet it's not a "silly issue" to MCDM.
But they did that.... Making it moot to customers. They did the right thing, and people still raise it as some kind of indictment.

Whew. Just watched the latest stream, because I don't have a life I guess? Or I'm addicted to likes. Some takeaways:

* The game will have a crafting system for magic items, which includes single-use magic items. They won't have rituals, because those use-once items will fill that role.

* Matt is adamant that the virtual table-top be done in-house because he wants it to be tied to the success of the actual game. He doesn't want the game leaning strongly on another company whose business model has nothing to do with them. That doesn't mean you won't be able to play the game on other VTTs, just that they're going to put all their effort into their own, and other people will have to port it over. The VTT will include digital tools for building characters and the like. Developing the VTT simultaneously with the game itself will help in sharpening the game's rules.

* Says skill challenges in 4e had potential, but were "undercooked" and didn't quite work. The "negotiation" mechanic in this game is a bit similar -- it provides concrete rules for asking NPCs for things, a sort of mini-game. Also notes that 4e was not the first game to have a mechanic like skill challenges.

* The game's versions of feats will be titles. When you're awarded a title, your character gets a usable boon to go along with it. Titles are awarded by the GM based on what your character accomplishes. However, there are likely to be titles you can get when you first roll up your character.

* Survival mechanics won't be part of the core game, but might pop up in specific adventures. Matt said it doesn't make sense to have rules in your game about how long it takes to get from point A to B, and how much water you need and how likely you are to be ambushed, "unless the point of your game is how dangerous the world is." James chimes in, "We love games like that!" But their game will mostly ignore that kind of thing, because their game is "explicitly heroic". If a particular setting or adventure needs those sorts of mechanics, it'll go in there, rather than being in the core rules.

* Matt says they didn't "game the system" on crowdfunding at all. They asked for as much money as they thought it would take, rather than asking for less because that might be strategic, as many projects do. To that end, no more stretch goals will be added -- the stretch goals already listed are what the goals actually are.

* Discussion about the importance of choosing a good game license, because "we want people to make cool stuff with our system." Matt says there's been some public pressure to choose a certain license from people who have an agenda, but he'll make that decision with his lawyer, who is a gamer.

Matt said it doesn't make sense to have rules in your game about how long it takes to get from point A to B, and how much water you need and how likely you are to be ambushed, "unless the point of your game is how dangerous the world is." James chimes in, "We love games like that!" But their game will mostly ignore that kind of thing, because their game is "explicitly heroic".

Chiming in because this tickled my argument buttons, but it can also be because your game is about being heroic that you have to face those sorts of challenges.

Its not so cut and dry that having high powered characters means X, Y, or Z has to fall by the wayside.

I suppose its mostly a difference in the UX; being based on 4e their game is going to have a significant cognitive load centered in crunchy combat, so it lends itself to trading off for a simpler non-combat game. Personally I think an equal balance is better overall, as is not assuming a zero sum, but knowing Matts fondness for 4e I can't knock where he's going with it.

* Matt is adamant that the virtual table-top be done in-house because he wants it to be tied to the success of the actual game. He doesn't want the game leaning strongly on another company whose business model has nothing to do with them. That doesn't mean you won't be able to play the game on other VTTs, just that they're going to put all their effort into their own, and other people will have to port it over. The VTT will include digital tools for building characters and the like. Developing the VTT simultaneously with the game itself will help in sharpening the game's rules.
Yeah this is very smart, and having the digital tools there from the get-go, and fully functional means that some players I know will be positively predisposed towards the game from that alone!

* Survival mechanics won't be part of the core game, but might pop up in specific adventures. Matt said it doesn't make sense to have rules in your game about how long it takes to get from point A to B, and how much water you need and how likely you are to be ambushed, "unless the point of your game is how dangerous the world is." James chimes in, "We love games like that!" But their game will mostly ignore that kind of thing, because their game is "explicitly heroic". If a particular setting or adventure needs those sorts of mechanics, it'll go in there, rather than being in the core rules.
I strongly support this - in part because a lot of games have really bad rules here, including D&D, and honestly, a DM just using what they know and what makes sense for the setting, the party, their capabilities and so on, is likely to have a better result than inflexible or just clunky rules most of the time. As example with D&D, a Druid can turn into a dove/pigeon pretty easily. Doves can fly literally literally hundreds of miles in a single day (600-700 miles - this is well studied because of carrier and racing pigeons), and do this for several days in a row. This isn't in dispute or questionable or anything. But in D&D can you do that? Hell no. Not RAW, and because RAW exists, sadly, DMs are inclined follow that, rather than let Druid fly a realistic distance.

* Matt says they didn't "game the system" on crowdfunding at all. They asked for as much money as they thought it would take, rather than asking for less because that might be strategic, as many projects do. To that end, no more stretch goals will be added -- the stretch goals already listed are what the goals actually are.
Yeah I was interested that they went with $800k rather than going for some insane lowball in the hopes of getting a bazillion backers anyway. I thought that was kind of a classy move.

* Discussion about the importance of choosing a good game license, because "we want people to make cool stuff with our system." Matt says there's been some public pressure to choose a certain license from people who have an agenda, but he'll make that decision with his lawyer, who is a gamer.
Oh my gossip! Total tea leaf speculation but the only one I could see people trying to apply pressure towards would be ORC, and I don't know if that's the right licence for this game.

Chiming in because this tickled my argument buttons, but it can also be because your game is about being heroic that you have to face those sorts of challenges.
I'd kind be inclined to ask you to name even a single RPG that really makes facing those sort of challenges feel "heroic" in the MCDM sense (defined on the KS page in a screenshot, note) in this sense rather than "survival"-y. I mean that in a friendly way, it's fine if you can't. It's just I can't think of a single one off hand. Certainly no edition of D&D or Pathfinder does (particularly as magic makes a joke of most these problems after above level 5 to 8). I feel like you're maybe on the precipice of just starting to use "heroic" to mean real-world "heroism" (i.e. 127 Hours, climbing Everest without oxygen, etc.) not what's meant here by "heroic". Which would be a bit off in this case. That's the sort of stuff that leads to 10ft pole-ery being called "heroic"!

I'd actually love to see an RPG which had these kind of challenges evoke action-adventure movies like Indiana Jones or Romancing the Stone or videogames like Uncharted or the like, but I genuinely cannot think of one that does. Maybe some PtbA one? I could believe that.

Remove ads

Remove ads