• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Manual of the Planes for 5e on DMSGuild

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning. It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com I love the special thanks. This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new...

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning.

Manual of the Planes. An invaluable, definitive work on the most fascinating aspect of the World's Greatest Roleplaying Game

It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 9.37.13 PM.png

I love the special thanks.

This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new horizons for the latest generation of planewalkers, bashers, berks, and touts. We’d also like to thank the giants on whose shoulders we stand when writing this book: Justice Ramin Arman, Richard Baker, Wolfgang Baur, David “Zeb” Cook, Bruce R. Cordell, Jeff Grubb, David Noonan, F. Wesley Schneider, Rick Swan, and all others who helped create and cultivate Planescape and the planes.

I've just bought it and am reading it now.

Here is the table of contents.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.18.51 PM.png

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
I picked up this Manual of the Planes this morning from the DMsGuild, and my first impression - incredible work! As someone with their own treatise on the planes up for sale (cough cough Codex of the Infinite Planes) I'm always keen on expanding my knowledge of the planes and diving into other takes on the infinite nature of the multiverse. This is a really good sourcebook with lots of cool ideas - I especially love the planar effects table for each plane, I wish I had thought of that one! Definitely looking forward to picking up the Manual of the Planes on POD when it becomes available. Nice layout, good use of styles to break up the pages (definitely LOOKS like a Planescape book from the 2E era!), loads of useful information for building out and playing on the planes. Great job to the team!

WhatLiesBeyond

Explorer
I certainly wish! If there would be interest in a planar book with a different title and an entirely different set of planes and monsters, no Sigil or Factions, using basically nothing from Planescape at all, then I’m down to do it!! Unfortunately, I think the audience is there for THESE planes, and THESE creatures, etc. I definitely have personal plans for an OGL/ORC cosmology, but that would need to build an audience before a successful Kickstarter. So, maybe with time. 😉
I should note that there are some successes in the area which I also highly recommend to people. Monte Cook Games' Path of the Planebreaker and Lost Spheres' Publishing's City of 7 Seraphs are both incredible planar supplements which have seen great success through crowdfunding, but neither was permitted to utilize muchof the Planescape Intellectual Property which we have utilized here.

DMSGuild is done for the love of the game and maybe to get some visibility, it's not really a great way to cash in on your time. All the more reason to appreciate the hard work that goes into it.
There are exceptions. The Eberron products from K B, and the monster manual expanded series have done quite well. The monster manual expanded series did so well that the author ended up commissioning art and replacing the stock cart in the original PDFs.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
There are exceptions. The Eberron products from K B, and the monster manual expanded series have done quite well. The monster manual expanded series did so well that the author ended up commissioning art and replacing the stock cart in the original PDFs.
I'm not sure your general point here? A handful of exceptions means nothing to the actual point being made.

Remove ads

Remove ads