D&D 5E Mage Hand

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm making an Arcane Trickster, so here's a question:

Mage hand "can't attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds". But...can it take the Help action? Can I use my BA to "Help" give myself advantage, and get sneak attack?

TheEvilDM

First Post
No. Your Mage Hand is not like some sort of summoned creature that you can command using a bonus action. As such, it can't actually take any actions, it's simply just an extra hand (albeit a floating magic one with a few specific additional options, as listed in the spell itself or the 'Mage Hand Legerdemain' piece of text).

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
No. Your Mage Hand is not like some sort of summoned creature that you can command using a bonus action. As such, it can't actually take any actions, it's simply just an extra hand (albeit a floating magic one with a few specific additional options, as listed in the spell itself or the 'Mage Hand Legerdemain' piece of text).
Actually you do control it with a bonus action as an Arcane Trickster.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

TheEvilDM

First Post
Actually you do control it with a bonus action as an Arcane Trickster.

I specifically used the word 'command', as that is the word the PHB generally uses in reference to giving orders to other creatures. I never said you don't control the hand using a bonus action, merely implied that it isn't a creature and cannot take an action in response to you controlling it, because it cannot take actions.

Oofta

Legend
No, a mage hand can't help since it isn't a creature. At least not until 13th level when you can use Versatile Trickster which gives you advantage until the end of the turn.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads