• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage armor Q and Invis to undead Q

Saxit

First Post
Does mage armor protect against touch attacks?

Does the normal invisibility spell make you invisible to undead, or do you need to use the lvl 1 cleric spell for that?

/Saxit

Xarlen

First Post
Saxit said:
Does mage armor protect against touch attacks?

Yes; magical bonuses of Armor protect against incorperal touch attacks, as does Mage Armor.

Does the normal invisibility spell make you invisible to undead, or do you need to use the lvl 1 cleric spell for that?

Normal invisibility works.

Beowulf

First Post
I thought Mage Armor only counted for Incorporeal attacks (which are touch attacks) and not against touch attacks from spells and such?

Gromm

First Post
Xarlen said:
Actually I think I'm wrong. No, I don't believe that regular touch attacks are rebuffed by mage armor.

Regular touch attacks are not effected by mage armor, incorporeal attacks, are (because its a force effect).

So vs a Harm spell - no AC, vs a spectre touch +4 AC.

And Invisiblity to Undead is actually quite different from Invisibility if you read it (unintellegent undead have no chance of detecting you, multiple targets, etc). Seems a bit confusing, but if you read it it makes more sense. Maybe they should have called it Undead Cloaking or Concealment from Undead or something, you're not the first to be confused.

Henrix

Explorer
The official ruling is like they say above:

Mage Armor gives an armor bonus, which never helps against ordinary touch attacks. Read up on touch attacks in the PHB.

But it is a force effect, and thus works against incorporeal touch attacks, which are different from ordinary touch attacks. See the section on Incorporeal in the DMG, I think Mage Armor is mentioned specifically.

Remove ads