• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Distant Relations

toasterferret

Explorer
GM: Gathering information is now part of the Diplomacy skill so far as I can tell, so you'll need a different check for that one, but I can drop a few hints based on Quioan's personal knowledge (i.e., those rolls)

OOC: Well in THAT case..... Taking ten on my Diplomacy roll to gather info, for a total of 25

Qik

First Post
"You know, I've been thinking," says Quioan, finishing off the rest of his meal, "and I have to say, I'm surprised I haven't come across this Owbej in my travels. Although I've never been to our current destination, I've traveled this area a great deal, and unless my memory is failing me, I can't recall coming across even a throwaway mention of this god. Since I'm too young for the former, it stands to reason that the worship of this god is new indeed. And, that being the case, how is it that they're able to construct a place of veneration in his owner? Temples don't come cheap, or at least not the ones that I've visited."

[sblock=OOC]You're all welcome to read jk's note to me just to make sure you got the just of my reformation of it IC.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
GM: Taking a minor liberty here, but I don't think you'll mind. Just wanted to move you closer to your goal while allowing you to continue planning / get to someplace where Anna's Diplomacy check can be used. :)

The evening moves apace, slipping into the next day. Renlow sets back off on the slow upstream trek and as days turn into weeks, the party has plenty of time to continue their discussions and planning.

Elenka's queries of Nevil don't yield especially full details, but he does confirm for her that he left his homeland in shame. Born to a tribe of warriors, Nevil was nothing of the sort. Out of place and with few prospects, he hitched his hopes on a pilgrimage to the East, where he hoped to start again. He seems especially embarrassed to talk about his former life in the presence of Drev, whom he continues to venerate.

While he doesn't seem embarrassed, Renlow doesn't have a great deal to say about himself, either.

"My kin are all hearty deep diggers," he says. "Burly sods whose idea of a perfect day is striking a gold vein, buying a mass of ale, and bedding all the lasses the gold and ale might impress. But some of us are born to a different life." He smiles, closes his eyes, and breathes in the warm breeze over the river. "The Downpour and the river have done right by me."

It's a few weeks before the barge actually has to resupply. Anna wastes no time using the brief shore leave to ask around about Martna's mystery cult. As with Quioan, the local religious orders know little. They've heard from priests in the area that Owbej's influence has risen quickly, but none of their records refer to any kind of kin of Penk by that name. Their suspicions are clear, but they have little else to add.

One of the beggars in the town, however, has nicer things to say.

”Aw, sure, I gots a cousin all way down ta Martna,” he says, then pauses to indulge a miserable-sounding cough. ”Was in alla same straights as me, what with all the greedy folk can’t bother to help a poor soul down on his luck. Then I gets a letter from him, tellin’ me how those folk in their crazy masks come and took him in and ain’t he living the good life now and I should get myself down there. Only, well, that’s a long, long trip, ain’t it, so’s I’m askin’ for what charity I can to help maybe get myself a little pony for trying to make it down there without my feet going bloody, eh?” he finishes with a hopeful gleam in his eye.

Right about then, Renlow finds the sorceress and whomever may have accompanied her. He sighs and flips a silver coin to the beggar.

”All right, enough of you,” he says to the beggar. ”We’re all loaded up. Best get back on the river,” he adds to you.

GM: Okay, so I think I’ve set things up here so you guys can continue to plan as you like without needing to be stuck time-wise. We’ll just assume it’s an ‘ongoing conversation’ you pick up at whatever point in the journey you’re at, and I’ll move us along toward Martna at best speed. :)

Qik

First Post
Back on the ship, Quioan considers the implications of the beggar's story. "It seems a bit unusual that they would so aggressively take in one of the poor, and seemingly shift his financial situation so drastically, does it not? Whatever the motivations, it's clear that these worshipers of Owbej are unusually well-off financially for a religious institution, especially one so new."

OOC: Just wanted to say that, from where I sit, I feel good in terms of planning thus far. Not sure what else you have in store for us along the way, but I'm fine with however quickly you want to expedite things. No rush - just wanted to issue an update on my status.

deisenhut

First Post
Yoshiki Akita (Human Monk 3)

Yoshiki listens to Quioan's story and ponders. He adds his own insight to the conversation in Sylvan. "It sounds like there is someone wealthy behind this new religion. Someone who is taking advantage of these poor people's situations to get them to dedicate themselves to his cause. I wouldn't be surprised if this person, whoever they might be, has some kind of axe to grind and is building up a loyal following to use as his minions. Once he has enough people dependent on him for their livelihood, he will probably use fear of that being taken away to motivate them to en mass assault or destroy something, or try to gain some control over the town. But then that is just my theory."

[sblock=Ministats]Initiative: +4
AC: 17 Touch 17 Flatfooted 12
HP: 22/22
CMB: +7 CMD: 19 Fort: +3 Reflex: +7 Will: +5 (+2 vs. Enchantment)
Defensive Abilities: Evasion, Deflect Arrows
Speed: 40 ft

Conditions in Effect: None
Elemental Fist: 3/3 remaining
Ki Pool: 0/0 remaining
[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Quioan nods at the monk's theory. "While I think it's important that we don't jump to conclusions, that certainly is plausible. It would explain both the source of wealth and the push to attract followers. However, didn't the commander say something about rumored theft, or some other illegal attainment of funds? Perhaps the religion is being backed by a criminal enterprise - if so, it could be serving as cover, an avenue to generate new revenue, and a means of recruitment all in one. Whatever the explanation, we certainly need to be on our guard."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka has little to add to the continued planning sessions and is usually pretty quiet during them. This time, however, she speaks up with a small idea.

"Since it seems that the followers of Owbej target those down on their luck perhaps one of us could pose as one of these unfortunates."

She glances surreptitiously at Yoshiki thinking he would be the best candidate since he is typically somewhat unassuming.

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 3
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5

AC: 15 (12 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 23 Current: 23
CMB: +3 CMD: 15 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +5

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/4 remaining.
Special: Summon Monster 2 6/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +1 Perception: +0; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 15 (11 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 29 Current: 29
CMB: +7 CMD: 18 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +3

In Hand:
Conditions: [/sblock]

deisenhut

First Post
At Elenka's suggestion, Yoshiki reflects on the idea. "It is definitely a possibility. Though it would only work if I haven't already been seen with a group of three less than poor looking folks and not having just traveled up from Venza on a barge. I would have to sell myself as someone who heard of this religion who was helping out those less fortunate and scraped together whatever I could to make it here. Maybe the three of you took pity on this poor man and since you were going the same direction, allowed him to come along. Then over the course of the journey, I spoke highly about the religion and you have now become interested yourself. But that is probably too much story and would become obvious if we were questioned separately."

[sblock=Ministats]Initiative: +4
AC: 17 Touch 17 Flatfooted 12
HP: 22/22
CMB: +7 CMD: 19 Fort: +3 Reflex: +7 Will: +5 (+2 vs. Enchantment)
Defensive Abilities: Evasion, Deflect Arrows
Speed: 40 ft

Conditions in Effect: None
Elemental Fist: 3/3 remaining
Ki Pool: 0/0 remaining
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
The group continues its ongoing strategizing. Meanwhile, Nevil seems particularly animated as the group re-boards after supplying, whistling and occasionally giggling as he works, much to Renlow's clear agitation. Neither says anything, however, until the barge has left the small river city out of sight.

"Now we is sending?" Nevil asks excitedly.

Renlow sighs and nods. "Now. She doesn't like surprises, so best to let her know." The dwarven captain produces a small charm that looks like a bird. He whispers to it, and the charm comes alive.

"Allebasi," he tells the bird as it hovers in front of him. It dips in the air a moment, then rushes ahead down the river and around the bend.

"So, I'm letting you folk in on one of my best secrets," Renlow says. "Martna's almost a season-long trek for most, upriver nearly the whole way as it is. But Parsons made it clear his cousin's got urgent need. So, I have a bit of a shortcut I use for time-sensitive jobs.

"Figure you've probably heard about the Gates?"
he says as the barge approaches the bend. "Ancient hoodoo and all that, nobody knowing who made 'em. Which means, nobody quite knows how many there are. So a wandering explorer with a bit too much curiosity and a bit too little good sense might just take the right wrong turn, if you know what I mean?"

"There! Is there!" Nevil is bouncing about as if he has springs in his feet, pointing to a pile of fallen trees and assorted other overgrowth which, upon closer inspection, seems to block off a mid-sized tributary of the Orino. Renlow sighs again, and calls for Nevil to drop anchor near the debris.

"You folk will want to stay aft if you know what's good for you," Renlow says, calling the party back to his position as he moves to the front of the ship. "Allebasi can cause no end of trouble if you get too close."

"You shouldn't say such hurtful things," chimes a lilting voice from below the fore railing just as the party settles in aft. There is a rush of water that crests and momentarily floods the deck. As the water recedes, you see a beautiful woman reclining on the boards. With pearlescent skin and long, dark hair, she seems to be all but nude save for a diaphanous, wet shawl with which she demurely covers herself. "Phineas, you wound me," she says to the Dwarven captain, her pout clearly for show.

"Better you than them," the dwarf says, unfazed. Nevil, on the other hand, is all but literally drooling. He drops to his knees before her.

"Pretty lady do nots being sad! I will doing whatever you needs for making you happy!"

Renlow sighs, grabs Nevil by the shoulders, and shoves him toward the party at the rear of the ship. "Pretty lady wants you to go take care of our passengers," the dwarf barks out. "Who I'm sure see now why they should stay put, yes?" he offers to the lot of you. Allebasi merely smiles coyly and bats her long lashes.

[sblock=Know: Nature DC 20]Though she appears human, you recognize Allebasi as a Nereid, a very powerful fey creature known for her supernatural seductive powers. It's said no one with a love for women can resist a Nereid should she come too close.
[sblock=Know: Nature DC 25]Once under a nereid's sway, a victim will do anything for her, including submitting to her lethal kiss.
[sblock=Know: Nature DC 30]See, now you're just cheating, 'cause I already checked your sheets, and you can't even get this with a Nat 20. :p [/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

toasterferret

Explorer
Anna's eyes widen at the sudden appearance of the water Fey. She smiles and whispers to nobody in particular.

"So that's what she must have looked like.... beautiful..."

Her smile lessens by a barely perceptible amount, and a touch of sadness creeps into her eyes.

A moment later her affect has returned to normal, and she calls out to the captain: "Interesting friends you have Captain! You're better connected than I had thought!"

Remove ads