• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LOTR] Aragorns Sword

Theron

Explorer
Since pictures have surfaced showing Arwen at Helm's Deep, I agree that it's a safe assumption that she'll bring the sword to Aragorn. A hunch a friend of mine and I have is that she'll go to her Lorien to convince her grandparents to send Elves to the aid of Aragorn and will ride south with them, bearing the flag and Narsil.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Theron said:
Since pictures have surfaced showing Arwen at Helm's Deep, I agree that it's a safe assumption that she'll bring the sword to Aragorn. A hunch a friend of mine and I have is that she'll go to her Lorien to convince her grandparents to send Elves to the aid of Aragorn and will ride south with them, bearing the flag and Narsil.

I've heard rumors that the "Arwen at Helm's Deep" stuff actually originates from a blooper reel that Peter Jackson shot. So I'm not at all sure she'll be there at Helm's Deep. I'm wondering if any rangers will be there or just Arwen...

EOL

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
I've heard rumors that the "Arwen at Helm's Deep" stuff actually originates from a blooper reel that Peter Jackson shot. So I'm not at all sure she'll be there at Helm's Deep. I'm wondering if any rangers will be there or just Arwen...
I thought that she was definitely at Helm's Deep and some bloopers did arise from that scene (mostly from Liv Tyler trying to look warlike), and so they were included, but there was an actual scene and in the movie Arwen will be at Helm's Deep.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
EOL said:

I thought that she was definitely at Helm's Deep and some bloopers did arise from that scene (mostly from Liv Tyler trying to look warlike), and so they were included, but there was an actual scene and in the movie Arwen will be at Helm's Deep.

See, what I heard was that the Arwen at Helm's Deep was shot specifically to be a blooper on a Christmas blooper reel for the cast and crew, and that she wasn't in any of the real scenes of Helm's Deep. Who knows if thats really accurate or not; I wouldn't bet money on it, but it sounds perfectly plausible.

Tolkein trivia

"Narsil" means "sun-moon" or "flaming moon". There are some suggestions that the sword normally glowed with a pale moonlike light but was also capable of bursting into sunlike flaming brilliance in battle. It's "light was extinguished" when it broke under Elendil when he fell in battle with Sauron at the end of the Second Age.

Narsil was forged by the famous dwarven smith Telchar in the First Age. Telchar's other great work was the knife Angrist ("iron cleaver") which Beren used to cut the silmaril from Morgoth's Iron Crown. I'm not sure who Narsil was originally made for, but at the start of the Second Age it was a minor heirloom of the Kings of Numenor and then was given to the Lords of Anduie (sp?) when they split off from the Royal Family. Elendil, the first High King of Arnor and Gondor, was the last Lord of Anduie.

(Note that the King of Numenor's sword was Aranruth ("king's ire") which had been the sword of Elwe Thingol Greycloack, the king of Doriath and father of Luthien. It was lost when Ar-Pharazon took it with him to invade Valinor.)

When Narsil was reforged, Aragorn renamed it Anduril ("flame of the west"). It seems to have regained its flaming sun-like brilliance in battle but not its moonlike glow.

(This is ironic since Aragorn was the heir of Isuldur ("moonlight") rather than of his brother Anorien ("sunlight"). Although, Aragorn did also carry the blood of Anorien through the fact that his ancestor Arvendui had married a daughter of the King of Gondor. Note this is an important part of Aragorn's claim to the throne of Gondor - he is the last descendent of *both* Isuldur AND Anorien.).

Last edited:

Randolpho

First Post
Christian said:
For those who haven't memorized The Lord of the Rings: in the books, Arwen makes a standard for Aragorn to display when he returns to Gondor and claims the royal throne. Her brothers carry this to Aragorn in Rohan, when they ride to join the brewing war against Sauron. In the movie, Arwen will likely make this journey herself, and bring Aragorn both the standard and the reforged sword.

I'm not privy to what's going to be in the next two movies, so if you know something I don't, please tell me...

but I hope to god they don't give Arwen Eowyn's role in the battle outside Minas Tirith. If Arwen kills the Nazgul king rather than Eowyn, I will hate the movies forever.

And that will be a big change, given my current love of TFotR.

Ma'varkith

First Post
Don't even go there, Randolpho. ;) You're going to give me fits! Please, please, PLEASE, Mr. Jackson, do NOT replace Eowyn... (fingers crossed)

Remove ads