• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Wizard/Sorc advice...

akbearfoot

First Post
So we're about to start a new D&D game, pathfinder setting. I'd like some advice from other people on what would be best to play.

We're restricted to the Pathfinder campaign setting book for what we can play. So no APG, and no Paladins because the player that always makes anti-social non-team oriented characters decided he is going to play an evil cleric. Starting at 2nd level, and the game is not likely to make it past 9th or 10th level.

I'm leaning towards either a Wizard (probably Conjuration specialized with Enchantment and Evocation opposed), or a Sorcerer, but I am only partly familiar with the various changes in Pathfinder vs regular 3.5e. Looking to fulfill the role of battlefield control/debuffing.

We're looking at having a group consisting of an evil cleric, a good cleric, 1 fighter, 1 hybrid melee, 1 thiefy type, and I think an archer, plus my character.

It appears that Pfndr made big changes to make Sorcs more competitive to wizards, but wizards are obviously still much more versatile. Wizards get the bonus feats, knowledge skills, and the earlier spell access. Sorcs get a ton of spells/day, and with the bloodlines have decent flavor and not nearly so anemic of spell lists. Plus they get Use Magic Device.

I have this idea of playing a Conjurer who's basically a 'Fog Mage'. Using fog cloud to hamper ranged attacks and provide cover to allies. Using spells that don't allow saves or still debuff attacks/saves even on saves. Ray of enfeeblement, glitterdust, Touch of idiocy, Enervation, cloudkill.

Thinking I could research a spell for myself that would enshroud my own body in mist and make me immune to the negative effects of my own 'Fog' spells, and give me the ability to see through them.

My thinking is that as a Sorcerer I would still have a fairly limited spell list and this concept would not be very viable. The wizard would be able to potentially make his own pearls of power, wands, staves, etc to suppliment his lower spells/day.

Any advice/feedback/non-flamey comments are welcomed, thanks! :)

hopeless

Adventurer
Okay...

So we're about to start a new D&D game, pathfinder setting. I'd like some advice from other people on what would be best to play.

We're restricted to the Pathfinder campaign setting book for what we can play. So no APG, and no Paladins because the player that always makes anti-social non-team oriented characters decided he is going to play an evil cleric. Starting at 2nd level, and the game is not likely to make it past 9th or 10th level.

I'm leaning towards either a Wizard (probably Conjuration specialized with Enchantment and Evocation opposed), or a Sorcerer, but I am only partly familiar with the various changes in Pathfinder vs regular 3.5e. Looking to fulfill the role of battlefield control/debuffing.

We're looking at having a group consisting of an evil cleric, a good cleric, 1 fighter, 1 hybrid melee, 1 thiefy type, and I think an archer, plus my character.

It appears that Pfndr made big changes to make Sorcs more competitive to wizards, but wizards are obviously still much more versatile. Wizards get the bonus feats, knowledge skills, and the earlier spell access. Sorcs get a ton of spells/day, and with the bloodlines have decent flavor and not nearly so anemic of spell lists. Plus they get Use Magic Device.

I have this idea of playing a Conjurer who's basically a 'Fog Mage'. Using fog cloud to hamper ranged attacks and provide cover to allies. Using spells that don't allow saves or still debuff attacks/saves even on saves. Ray of enfeeblement, glitterdust, Touch of idiocy, Enervation, cloudkill.

Thinking I could research a spell for myself that would enshroud my own body in mist and make me immune to the negative effects of my own 'Fog' spells, and give me the ability to see through them.

My thinking is that as a Sorcerer I would still have a fairly limited spell list and this concept would not be very viable. The wizard would be able to potentially make his own pearls of power, wands, staves, etc to suppliment his lower spells/day.

Any advice/feedback/non-flamey comments are welcomed, thanks! :)

Hmm a Conjuror with limited or no access to enchantment or evocation or a Sorceror?

Might want to replace one of those with Necromancy since if that player with the evil cleric decides to turns things nasty being able to take him and his undead army out with the same spell might prove useful!

The only wizards I've gone for was a Dwarf Transmuter that I didn't really get to play and a Kelishite Evoker which looked promising but I didn't get to play enough to say for sure which was better.
Conjuror means Mage Armour "always" a good idea but then I've never run a Pathfinder sorceror so I can only go by what I played under 3.0 which was a halfling sorceress whose spell list was 0th: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Mage Hand, Ray of Frost & Read Magic, 1st: Endure Elements, Identify, Mage Armour, Magic Missile & Shield, 2nd: Endurance& Knock at 5th level thanks to being able to replace the Summon familiar with Extra Spells feat at 4th level with Toughness, Extend spell and Eschew Material courtesy of being a Sor/Rogue 5th/1st.

Regarding fog style you have to remember that will also effect your own side but if thats what you fancy then by all means enjoy yourself!

Hopefully you'll get a few more responses to help you decide on what you want to do so be sure to let us know what you finally decide and more importantly how things went!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Standard build for PF I've seen is an Elf Conjuror with Str, Wis, and Cha 7. Int 20, anything else going to Con and Dex, in that order (assuming point buy). Seems pretty effective, albeit cookie cutter.

Also, just so you're aware, Glitterdust was nerfed to allow a new save each round to end the blindness, and Ray of Enfeeblement super-duper wtfweretheythinking?! nerfed. Now you have to touch as before, but creature gets a save for half and duration was cut to a 10th the original, round/level (was min/level in 3E). I seriously wouldn't bother even learning it, it's pretty bad...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads