• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Undead resources

LogantheBard

First Post
I'm about to start a new campaign based on an undead invasion. I'm not familiar with a lot of the PF/3.5 splat books. What books are good investments for this genre of game?

paradox42

First Post
The immediately obvious answer from 3.5 is Libris Mortis. That entire book is about Undead, it's like the Draconomicon for the Undead creature type. To a lesser extent, you can find items of interest in Heroes of Horror and Book of Vile Darkness.

From PF, the Carrion Crown AP is probably the best bet from Paizo directly. Among the hardcover books, Gamemastery Guide has Haunts, though you can find the rules online too (for example, here) and since that's about the most interesting thing in the book for an Undead-themed campaign, you shouldn't buy it just for those.

I'm not familiar with third-party publishers for PF so can't make any recommendations there.

Last edited:

LogantheBard

First Post
I think one of the players in our group already has Libris Mortis in his library, I'll see if I can find that. Good suggestion about Carrion Crown, but I'm playing in a bi-monthly CC game now, so I don't want to delve into that and spoil the surprise for myself.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The Monsters Revisited books by Paizo has several options, Horrors and Undead coming to mind.

For 3PP there is the 30 series by Rite Publishing - they have PDFs of 30 Haunts for houses, ships, and objects. Rite also has Restless Souls, which is well worth looking at.

The Auld Grump

Thanael

Explorer
+1 for Classic Horrors Revisited and Undead Revisited by Paizo. Though they do not specifically support the undead invasion scenario.

Open Design's Imperial Gazetteer details the undead nations of Morgau & Doresh.

Mythic Menagerie: The Kingdom of Graves (PFRPG) PDF by Super Genius Games has gotten good reviews and is a cheap pdf.

Check the links for reviews and discussion.

Also check out the descriptions of the land of Geb in the Pathfinder wiki/campaign setting. It is an undead nation in the PF campaign world. Also read this excellent paizo thread on Geb, Nex, and Ancient Osirion, and this one on Osirion Culture & Necromancy.

Last edited:

Thanael

Explorer
I think one of the players in our group already has Libris Mortis in his library, I'll see if I can find that. Good suggestion about Carrion Crown, but I'm playing in a bi-monthly CC game now, so I don't want to delve into that and spoil the surprise for myself.

There's a Forgotten Realms novel trilogy dealing with the lands of Thay in which the lich Sulkir of Necromancy tries to take over the land. The novels are Unclean, Undead, Unholy (The Haunted Lands Trilogy). They feature some of the more strange undead from LM (and also the Ghostwalk suppplement), a long campaign (as in war) against all kinds of undead, and some undead protagonists.

Last edited:

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
For 3/3.5/d20:

Mongoose Publishing - The Slayer's Guide to Undead
Goodman Games - The Complete Guide to Vampires
Goodman Games - The Complete Guide to Liches
Green Ronin Publishing - After Sunset: Vampires (this one is modern, but I think it's still worth a readthrough)
Green Ronin Publishing - Fang & Fury: A Guidebook to Vampires
Clockwork Golem Workshop - Masterwork Mosnters: Rise of the Ghouls
Bastion Press - Out for Blood
Adamant Entertainment - The Dread Codex 2: The Necromancer's Tome (more about the necromancer and less about the undead)
Bottled Imp Games - The Lords of Night - Liches
Bottled Imp Games - The Lords of Night - Vampires
Bottled Imp Games - The Lords of Night - Zombies
Top Fashion Games - Persona of the Undead (gives one example each of a ghast, ghoul, ghost, and wight)

Napftor

Explorer
If you don't mind using 3.5, you might get alot of use out of The Dread Codex. I collected (and updated where necessary at the time) all of the undead I could find in the 3PP world for this book.

Remove ads