• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Tact-tiles (or a decent facsimile!)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Go looking for information on songfinders and songcatchers - while it was not supposed to work that way, it was how it ended up working in the years between 1909 and the early fifties. The recording studios helped enforce it. Olive Dame Campbell was the first songcatcher, and an honest one, but some of the folks who followed her into the mountains were less so.

In the mid '50s to the 1960s it started being reversed, which is where songfinders like Burl Ives and Pete Seeger joining ranks with the likes of Olive Campbell entered the picture. While the law was not substantially changed it became less one sided in regards to how it was enforced.

Mind you, much of the music found would otherwise have been lost, but trust me, the theft of music also made some folks a lot less likely to share, especially around Appalachia - the folks were ignorant of the law, and the studios used that ignorance against them.

(That ignorance of the law was also why I chose songfinders as an example in this case, while Widgets deliberately went and messed with the IP, AB and the original creator did not have that knowledge.)

Olive Dame Campbell was the inspiration for the movie Songcatcher in 2000.

The Auld Grump, and sometimes it seems that RIAA wants a return to those times....

*EDIT* If you can ever get writer Sharyn McCrumb to talk about song stealing, it is worth listening to. She also wrote the wonderful RPG convention mystery Bimbos of the Death Sun.

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
Go looking for information on songfinders and songcatchers - while it was not supposed to work that way, it was how it ended up working in the years between 1909 and the early fifties. The recording studios helped enforce it. Olive Dame Campbell was the first songcatcher, and an honest one, but some of the folks who followed her into the mountains were less so.

Your post implied that this was a current problem, which it doesn't appear to be. I'd argue that the ignorance wasn't among the people who were "giving" the songs away, it was among those who were defering to the copyright rather than fighting it. There's no way those alleged copyrights could have held up to a court challenge for the songs themselves (as opposed to the particular recordings) if it were shown that the songs in question had antecedent existence, even in 1909.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Your post implied that this was a current problem, which it doesn't appear to be. I'd argue that the ignorance wasn't among the people who were "giving" the songs away, it was among those who were defering to the copyright rather than fighting it. There's no way those alleged copyrights could have held up to a court challenge for the songs themselves (as opposed to the particular recordings) if it were shown that the songs in question had antecedent existence, even in 1909.
You underestimate the corruption of the courts in the early twentieth century - in some cases (Kentucky and Tennessee) laws were actually put in place to do just that. :( The laws were overturned, but doing so meant actually going to court to get rid of them. Universities showed up on both sides of the controversy, sometimes in court - mostly depending on their ethnomusicologists. Here in Maine one of the people supporting the return of folk music to the public domain was Sandy Ives - he actually shows up in one or two fantasy stories set in the United States, including one by Manly Wade Wellman :) . (As far as I know Sandy Ives is no relation to Burl Ives.)

But you are very much correct in regards to the fact that I should have mentioned it being history, not contemporary. I seem to have expected everyone to be familiar with what is almost certainly an obscure bit of history that is only important to those familiar with the roots of folk music and bluegrass.

So... how about dem Mets?

The Auld Grump, who suddenly realized that he doesn't know if Sandy Ives is still alive.... :(

*EDIT* Crap! He died this past August. :( I am going to have to drink him a toast - he was a wonderful person, and will be missed by all his students, and those who went to hear him speak, and sometimes sing. Sleep well, Sandy. Edward D. Ives 1925 - 2009.

Last edited:

pjrake

Explorer
So, I had a brilliant idea for my husband's Christmas present this morning: buy him a set of his own Tact-tiles! We've been borrowing from a player in our group, but my husband DM's all the time, and we'll be moving soon and having a set of our own would be cool. I'd heard that there was a bootleg set out there, and also that the rights for the originals had been bought by another company and were also in production. l

I replied to you but it looks like the message is not going through. If you didn't get it, email me at pjrake@gmail.com

-PJ

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I believe that these people were the ones that were accused of illegally using the Tact-Tiles name that I linked to a few posts up.
Yeah, I have no respect at all for those guys -- when the subject first came up they registered fake IDs here at ENW to talk up their own product, then denied it. I don't have a lot of patience for folks who need to use that sort of deception.

Thanlis

Explorer
What do the lawyers on the boards think?

I am not a lawyer, but as I noted earlier, the trademark's registered as of a few days after Ashrem initially claimed he owned it. Here're the details:

Word Mark TACT-TILES
Translations The wording "Tact-Tiles" has no meaning in a foreign language.
Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Role playing games
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 77708090
Filing Date April 7, 2009
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Beukeveld, Christopher B INDIVIDUAL CANADA 107-19415 56th Ave Surrey, BC CANADA V3S6K2
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)-IN PART
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Distinctiveness Limitation Statement as to "Tact-Tiles"

Great Victory Widgets is located in Vancouver, BC. Chris Beukeveld works for or owns Great Victory Widgets (he sent in a tip to Roleplaying Tips a while back). He also owns the trademark on Tact-Tiles.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Great Victory Widgets is located in Vancouver, BC. Chris Beukeveld works for or owns Great Victory Widgets (he sent in a tip to Roleplaying Tips a while back). He also owns the trademark on Tact-Tiles.

So the people who are using the trademark do actually legally have the right to use it? Maybe they are just taking the stern stance on their website because of all of the loose allegations on messageboards. Anyway, I am sure there is more to the story.

In any case, Great Victory Widgets come across as dodgy to me. I personally would not by from someone who is using the tactics (legal or not) that they are using.

I just wish Ashrem Bayle would finish "dealing" with his new baby and release some of the legit Tact-Tiles so that I can buy them. :D (I makes that very much tongue-in-cheek comment as a father of one with another due very shortly. You are never finished "dealing" with children. That's all part of the fun though! :D)

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads