• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Interesting Shapechangers

Dog Moon

Adventurer
So I plan on running an assault against the PC's home and I am looking to use a creature subtype we have not frequently used: the Shapechanger. However, beyond the Doppleganger, I do not know of any other interesting ones. I could use some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Group is level 7.

Last edited:

szilard

First Post
Nifft said:
Barghests have a built-in reason to hunt down high-level people.

...and a pack of them could be easily tailored to fit the PCs' level.

If one manages to escape, it could come back later as a Greater Barghest...

-Stuart

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Mimics are good.. I mean.. they.. well.. mimic things..

Imagine the PCs surprise when they go out to get the mail.. and then they can't let it go!

J from Three Haligonians

Rechan

Adventurer
Jackalweres (Jackals or hyenas that turn into people to lure them off).

Any sort of skinwalker - something that kills them and crawls into their skin.

Ghostwind

First Post
If you are willing to go outside the Monster Manual to a 3rd party book, Complete Minions from Bastion Press (pdf) has some good shapechangers including the Sync.

Robert Ranting

First Post
Paizo's pathfinder adventure path has introduced two new shapeshifting types, the Faceless Stalkers and the Totenmaske. The latter is particularly creepy, as it drains flesh away (con damage) and thereafter can assume the shape of that person. It also can drain memories with it's bite to gain a better understanding of how to mimic them, and can warp the flesh of others to horrific effect (imagine going unconcious during a fight, only to wake up and realize that your ears, eyes, and mouth have been sealed shut with your own skin!).

Defiantely worth checking out. Plus, the adventures are pretty cool for looting ideas.

Robert "Beginning to Like a Lot From Paizo" Ranting

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads