• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a Cyberpunk Genre Game

MGibster

Legend
I used to love Cyberpunk 2020 back in the day and was exciting to jump on Cyberpunk Red. Unfortunately my players and I were disappointed with Cyberpunk Red and resolved that we had no interest in playing it ever again. I've got an idea for a cyberpunk campaign but thought I might expand my horizons a bit instead of going back to 2020. Maybe it's time I move on, right?

Shadowrun: I love the setting quite a bit but I am never, ever going to run this game because of the abominable rules. I don't object to mixing magic and cyberpunk and I think my players might be into it as well.

Sprawlrunners: This is a toolkit for Savage Worlds that I've heard is basically Shadowrun with the serial numbers filed off. My group and I love Savage Worlds. Anyone have any opinion on this?

Interface Zero: I understand there are rules for this setting for Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and it's own system. Anyone have any experience with this one? The setting technology might be a bit more advanced than I'm used to but I won't discount it yet.

Cy-Borg: I don't really know anything about this one.

Any of you have any suggestions?

MGibster

Legend
I've only played one PbtA game. As a GM, I think I prefer more traditional RPGs. The Sprawl does look pretty good though. I might pick up Cy_Borg. The rules seem simple enough at least.

Thomas Shey

Legend
If you don't mind the SR sort of urban fantasy/cyberpunk hybrid, there's a couple of recent attempts to fish in that pond that might be worth a look: Vault and (more overtly) Sinless. For more traditional (though as you note, high tech) cyberpunk I probably would go with the most recent version of Interface Zero or just cook my own with the upcoming version of the Savage Worlds SF Companion. (Sprawlrunners is functional but a little minimalist for me).

(This is assuming a trad approach is desirable; I'm not competent to properly assess the more narrative focused games).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Oh, and how do you feel about when it bleeds into transhumanist stuff? I was trying to figure out whether to even bring up Eclipse Phase. Do you want near-future?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Carbon 2185 is a beautiful RPG and, if you're not wanting to drift too far from 5e, it has you covered (so the learning curve is very low). That said, it's very much a traditional cyberpunk RPG and not High Fantasy + Cyberpunk like Shadowrun.

MGibster

Legend
Oh, and how do you feel about when it bleeds into transhumanist stuff? I was trying to figure out whether to even bring up Eclipse Phase. Do you want near-future?
I'd describe myself as preferring more traditional 1980s style cyberpunk, but like I said in the OP, it's time for me to expand my horizons a bit. So, sure, a little transhumanism never hurt anyone and Blue Planet has it in spades.

Remove ads