• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LKH] Incubus Dreams: comments (*spoilers*)

Black Omega

First Post
Just finished Incubus Dreams from Laurell K. Hamilton, part of her Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series.

A few comments:

Britain is the only other country in the world to legalize vampires? Interesting. I would have thought it was Canada.

Zombies made from people that were murdered simply go after the person who killed them? I'd swear in an earlier book this wasn't true, but can't find it now.

Anita picks up another host of new powers. Though this passed being something special a few books ago.

The Church of Eternal Life is not blood oathing vampires, nor is it teaching them to be vampires. This bit was actually interesting because I could see the reason why they would be acting this why and the trouble it could bring down the road. Turn someone into a predator that needs to feed, then rely on their 'human' morals to only do it in the church sanctioned way. Just asaking for trouble.

The general trend of the sex overwhelming the plot seems to finally have reached it's conclusion. The plot is 40 pages toward the begining, 20 pages in the middle, and 40 pages at the end. The other 550 pages have plenty of sex and drama but bugger all to do with the plot. Anita crosses more lines she said she would never cross. Something that was more interesting when it didn't happen every...frelling...book...

For the second book in a row we have an ex-hunter turned to side with those he had hunted. Anita's not so unique in that sense, that seems to be a common danger.

LKH must have had some bad experience with the local rural police out in the St. Louis area. Every rural cop thus far is pretty bigoted.

Overall: Unlike Narcisus in Chains, which I thought was a train wreck, this book has a solid plot. The plot just never gets a chance to shine. A master vampire with a grudge against religion, tempting vampires of the rigidly moral Church of Eternal Life into giving in to their predator urges. The idea that the Church itself wasn't training it's vampires properly but instead leaving them basically immortal humans with no understanding of what they really are or could be, and so leaving itself open to this type of attack. A big nasty master vampire that, according to the brief appendix at the end of the book, would have had something in common with at least one supporting character in the series. Unfortunately we never even get to meet the master vampire. He's refered to by name twice and then just escapes at the end before anyone gets close enough to even see his face. Still, I have to admit the series is anything but static. Characters are growing and changing, sometimes even in good ways.

Rating: 2 1/2 stars.

Cannibal_Kender

First Post
=Black Omega

The general trend of the sex overwhelming the plot seems to finally have reached it's conclusion. The plot is 40 pages toward the begining, 20 pages in the middle, and 40 pages at the end. The other 550 pages have plenty of sex and drama but bugger all to do with the plot. Anita crosses more lines she said she would never cross. Something that was more interesting when it didn't happen every...frelling...book...

This is the worst thing for me. I remember earlier books in this series that were actually focused on a plot of some kind....here sex seemed to be the fricken plot...urge to hurl book across room and turn on TV growing with each new page ....

Last edited:

Super Girl

First Post
I am soo turned off by the fact that Anita can't go 6 hours without needing to screw someone, and that its only on a good day that she can go that long. Its like LKH went from writing books to writing Fanfic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads