• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Limiting Polymorph Self

Li Shenron

Legend
To me it seems PS is abusable mostly because of the infinite numbers of things into which you can shapechange, and as such it opens up for replicating far too many special abilities.

Has anyone tried to limit the number of forms into which you "know" how to shape into? I was thinking 1/caster level wouldn't make the spell underpowered. A 7th level Wizard who learns the spell should choose 7 specific creatures that he has studied how to correctly shape into. When she reaches level 8, she learns an additional creature. Some additions to the rule could be:

- to keep the spell efficient at higher levels, you can polymorph into an advanced version of the creature (more HD and everything that goes with them)

- at DM's discretion, the player may be allowed to choose the known creatures later in the game, when the need arises (but cannot change them once they're chosen)

Do you think this would be too much a strict house rule? Would it make PS too weak? Does it have additional balance problems, for example about advanced creatures?

Just know that one point of this (possible) house rule is to indeed make PS somewhat less powerful than it actually really is, but without changing the rules about how it works, e.g. what you get and what you don't get from shapechanging. IOW, to avoid messing up with the current version of the shapechanging rules...

Thanee

First Post
I had the idea once, to add a costly material component to the spell, which is a part from the creature the mage wants to polymorph into.

The cost depends on the rarity of the creature and how dangerous it is, and could range from a few copper to hundreds of gold.

This way, the DM can also freely set restrictions and adjust them as appropriate.

Another option is to only allow polymorphing into creatures one has seen with their own eyes or is otherwise familiar with (a knowledge check against the DC to know the creature +5 or even +10).

Bye
Thanee

Wonko the Sane

First Post
I went one step further - they couldn't buy pieces of monsters. Thus, the wizard could only polymorph into something the party had already fought.

Mind you, I hate the "money + item craft feat = magic items" thing too. I make them harvest stuff themselves to make magical items. Save the cash for a stronghold :p

monboesen

Explorer
I think the only way of gettng the spell under control is realizing that it has to be broken into several (possibly many) seperate spells.

The most thorough method (but also requiring the most work) is to have a spell for each creature. So you would have a Dog form spell, a Goblin form spell and so on.

An alternative is to have one polymorph spell for each spell level and then evaluate what creatures each Polymorph spell (I to IX) can turn you in to. This could more or less be done by CR.

You could then introduce extraordinay and supernatural abilities at reasonable points. Perhaps by allowing a caster to use a higher level polymorph spell to assume the form of a lower level polymorph but gettng acces to all the creatures extraordinary and supernatural abilities.

Lets for instance say that Polymoph V lets you assume the form of a Troll. You get physical stats, natural weapons (but not attack routine), natural armor, movements and so on. The Polymorph VI might let you assume Troll form and get their regenration ability, Attack routine (Bite and two claws), Rend ability, Darkvison, Low-light vision and Scent.

Philip

Explorer
Our group, after much debating and using the spell in practice, has found quite an elegant solution to most of the abuses of the polymorph spell:

We ruled that the polymorph spells can only give a +1 bonus on an ability scores, natural armor (etc.) for each 3 caster levels, up to a maximum of the normal ability score of the new form to a maximum bonus of +5 at 15th lvl.

So a 7th lvl wizard (Str 10, Dex 12, Con 14, natural armor +0) who polymorphed himself into an Ogre (Str 21, Dex 8, Con 15, natural armor +5) would gain a +2 bonus on Str, a -4 penalty on Dex, a +1 bonus on Con and +2 bonus to his natural armor.

Hashmalum

Explorer
I'm considering creating a Form Familiarity skill that works much like the old Perform skill did (one form known per rank). Class skill for druids, sorcerers, and wizards only, naturally. Under 3.0E, rangers would be able to apply favored enemy bonuses to their ranks in the skill, with each point of bonus adding one additional known form (of a creature subject to the favored enemy bonus, naturally). Since 3.5E rangers have silently and mysteriously lost polymorphing ability, this probably wouldn't apply to them.

Last edited:

Limiting the number of forms will not really help, unless you limit it really to only a single one.
Usually, you need only two or three forms:
Combat form - High Strength (and in 3.5, high consitution), lots of natural attacks and related abilities.
Movement form: Fly speed, preferably big and strong to take the group with you
Water form: Swim Speed, waterbreathing ability, preferably big and strong to be a valuable fighter in the rare underwater scenariors.

All other forms are just nice to have.
In fact, I think the combat form is the only form you really need.
In two of our campaigns I am playing a Wizard, and when they polymorph, they always seem to chose a combat form. (Usually Annis Hag)

I think a fair way to make the spell balanced and easier to adjucate is to limit it to humanoid forms (for disguises) and animal forms (for special abilities) within a certain size (tiny to huge? Maybe limit by level).
It does avoid overshadowing the prime shapeshifter class (Druid), and it´s easy to adjucate since animals don´t have all the exotic superpowers. Rake, Grab, Rend are easy, the "worst" is probably bat with blind sense ...
It´s also balanced by the fact that powerful animals usually have a lot of HD, so you will usually never find an overpowered animal (just a few top-end creatures).

Edit: And you will also limit the problem of spellcasting polymorphed creatures. It´s either combat or spellcasting, not both.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads