• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) LevelUp the D&D Movie [Spoilers]

Selganor

Adventurer
I watched the movie yesterday and my little rules brain is still trying to figure things out (that probably contradicted the rules because of practical or financial reasons)...

Needless to say... Spoilers abound and if you figured something out (or need hel doing so) feel free to join in.

First... Edgin is not a bard but a Marshal with Performance

Second: Doric (in A5E) has to be a level 12 druid for her 8 wild shapes (horse, fly, rat, cat, axebeak, deer, worm, eagle) her owlbear form is just her using Polymorph.

It might even be that she polymorphed into an owlbear to intercept the lynching guards and when she killed a horse and heard guards wild shaped into that horse, regaining her mind back. When she dropped the wild shape she went back into owlbear.

More later...

I would enjoy the movie for what it is instead of finding what level the characters are supposed to be and be annoyed for some inconsistencies
I mean, the druid did shapeshift a lot but never cast any spell IIRC. IMO it should be possible by the ruleset to have more wild shapes by burning spell slots, or the other way around, so that's a concession that could be easily made.
The bard never cast a spell either

Selganor

Adventurer
I really enjoyed the movie but if someone asks why X could do Y in the movie I like to have a better answer than just "it's a movie that didn't follow the rules" ;)

And since my 5e GMing has been going A5E all the way I try to find "solutions" for a rules variant that even isn't the normal rules.

dave2008

Legend
I find this a fun idea, but I am terrible at making characters (forever DM here), so I look forward to what you come up with!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I really enjoyed the movie but if someone asks why X could do Y in the movie I like to have a better answer than just "it's a movie that didn't follow the rules" ;)

And since my 5e GMing has been going A5E all the way I try to find "solutions" for a rules variant that even isn't the normal rules.
Disagree. It is loosely based on the game, but it isn't the game. YMMV, of course.

dave2008

Legend
I think a class that forgoes spellcasting entirely to go all in on Wildshape is a marvelous idea!
I think in my ideal D&D we would have something like:

Warrior Classes: use combat based mechanics (i.e superiority dice for maneuvers)
Expert Classes: use skill based mechanics (i.e. superiority dice for tricks/talents)
Magic User Classes: cast spells
Priest Classes: use channel divinity/ nature to do magical things, but not spells

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads