• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blog (A5E) Level Up Art Previews #2

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This week we’re going to take a look at some more art from the Level Up books! Today we’ll focus on monsters.

th-29625708805-1460x1152.png

Stalker0

Legend
My non-art critic opinion for what little it matters (hehe I doubt the art is suddenly going to change ;)

• Bronze Dragon: Fine
  • Dread Knight: Cool
  • Silver Dragon: Eh
  • Spirit Dragon: Weird looking
  • Couatl: Really cool, but more evil looking than I would expect such a creature to be.
  • Grick: That may be the best grick I've ever seen.
  • Chalcid: Cool
  • Wraith: Eh
  • Hydra: Weird
  • Ogre: Eh

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm not an artist so my words are probably useless I love the way everything is so... dark/eye catching/eye drawing.... visceral
I take it that the Chalcid is the wasp-like Mindflayer replacement y'all were teasing.
I think so & that was my first thought as well, absolutely nails the spine quivering creepy vibe

Norade

Villager
That wraith looks like he's busting out his best moves to impress people at a party. Beyond that one unfortunate pose, it's all fine but aside from the Grick none of it really wows me. I do like that, aside from the Ogre, it's all fairly uniform and cohesive. I also like that it isn't just a monster set against a blank background.

I'd grade this preview as a solid B, more than passable but not blowing me away eiher.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I agree the couatl looks evil somehow. I loved some, and liked some. That's all I can ask for in art......it is all high quality.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I just think it's a bit odd that couatls are often shown with hoods, even though hooded cobras are native to India and parts of Asia and Quetzalcoatl is a South American deity.

Remove ads