• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Latin question

Trouvere

Explorer
Scientia noctem illustrat

Or instead of scientia, you could use cognitio, or doctrina. Cognitio has a shading of 'acquiring of knowledge' as well as the thing itself.
Instead of noctem, which is literally 'night', you could use tenebras, which means 'night', but also has figurative meanings of 'unconsciousness' and 'ignorance'
Illuminat is a bit literal. Maybe illustrat, which has secondary meanings of 'make clear'?

Regards,
Trouvere.

I'll kind of second Trouvere - although in your quote I would have used Illuminat for the phrase that you stated.

I would go with "Cognitio Tenebrae Inluminare" - while less direct is a lot closer to the meaning of the quoted phrase. (investigation /of/ obscurity makes /it/ known)

Wayside

Explorer
Thunderfoot said:
I'll kind of second Trouvere - although in your quote I would have used Illuminat for the phrase that you stated.

I would go with "Cognitio Tenebrae Inluminare" - while less direct is a lot closer to the meaning of the quoted phrase. (investigation /of/ obscurity makes /it/ known)
You forgot to conjugate the verb and decline the direct object.

Black Omega, you might consider using 'truth' instead of 'knowledge' (veritas noctem illustrat). There are more idiomatic phrasings you could use, if anyone who's going to see this might know the difference.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads