• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Know Protections & Know Vulnerabilities

psionotic

I have a question about the Know Protections and Know Vulnerabilities spells in Magic of Faerun. Can the caster obtain information about spells and items that are affecting the target? Or only the targets 'natural' protections and vulnerabilities?

The description of both spells fails to mention this somewhat crucial point.

Why do I need to know? Last week my group fought a half-fiendish barbarian troll with a spell turning ring and several Endure Elements spells simul-cast upon it, and it was kind of a pain in the arse to kill!

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I thought it clear that those spells do take into account protective items and 'buffing' spells. If they only checked natural protections, they wouldn't be nearly as useful.

psionotic

Any other opinions?

Thanks, AuraSeer, I agree that the spells would be far less useful if they can't identify items and buffs. Anyone think that they don't?

Magus_Jerel

First Post
even if they didn't - multiple abjurations (IIRC spell turning and Endure elements are both abjurations) give off some sort of distortion field - the text is in the PHB - seeking for reference.

hong

WotC's bitch
Since there's no mention of limiting the spells' abilities in this fashion, I'd say that they're not limited. By and large, the rules don't care about the source of magical effects. DR is DR, whether it's from a stoneskin spell, a magic item, or an innate Su ability. Similarly, energy resistance is energy resistance, whether it's from a resist elements spell, a ring, or innate. The only time it's important is for purposes of negating these effects, eg via dispel magic or an antimagic field, and then the procedure to be followed is laid out quite precisely.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads