• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Killing Vampires

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
I'm rereading a bit of the MM trying to make my houserules on Vampire's seem coherent and I think I'm missing something. Do Vampires not have special conditions on death anymore?

If a Vampire dies does it return to its coffin in RAW or is it dead? I can't seem to find anything that says its still alive but I would have sworn I did see as such.

concerro

Explorer
I'm rereading a bit of the MM trying to make my houserules on Vampire's seem coherent and I think I'm missing something. Do Vampires not have special conditions on death anymore?

If a Vampire dies does it return to its coffin in RAW or is it dead? I can't seem to find anything that says its still alive but I would have sworn I did see as such.

Correct. All you have to do is take away their HP.

abyssaldeath

First Post
You could always just give your vampires Mist Form as an interrupt or a free action when reduced to 0.

Mist Form (Immediate Interrupt; encounter) Polymorph
When the vampire would be reduced to 0 it becomes insubstantial and gains a fly speed of 12, but cannot make attacks. The vampire lord can remain in mist form for up to 1 hour or end the effect as a minor action.

This way there would still be a chance to out right destroy the Vampire and a chance for the Vampire to survive.

If you really want the Vampire to return to the coffin you could do this.

Indestructible
When a vampire is reduced to 0 hit points, its body and possessions crumble into dust, but it is not destroyed. It reappears (along with its possessions) in 1 days within its coffin, unless the coffin is also found and destroyed.

Remove ads