Keep on Shadowfell pre gen PC's

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
If people want more PCs, I'm guessing that they can find first level stats in the miniatures stat cards. Or at least second level stats that they can easily change to first level.

Remathilis

Legend
Kwalish Kid said:
If people want more PCs, I'm guessing that they can find first level stats in the miniatures stat cards. Or at least second level stats that they can easily change to first level.

DOH! Why didn't I think of that!

Guess I'll be dumping some money on DDM 2.0...

fnwc

Explorer
Lanefan said:
The design they're going for, according to what's been leaked out so far, is 4 opponents for 5 PCs...which makes it easy if you've got 10 (or 15, or 20) PCs and slightly mechanically imperfect (if you care) for scaling to any other number.
From what has been revealed so far, it seems like it will be fairly trivial to scale encounters for more than 4 PCs, as there is an implied level to level ratio between PCs and monsters.

For example, if the encounter is scaled for 4 level 2 PCs, then it might have an elite level 2 Orc and 2 level 2 Goblins. If you have 6 level 2 PCs in this encounter, the DM might scale it by adding another elite Orc or 2 Goblins to balance it.

Note that I'm using 'level' here as an arbitrary measurement. I'm not sure what 4th Edition will use for terminology in this regard.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Danzauker said:
I don't get it.

why don't people playing in groups with more than 5 players just wait a bit before buying the adventure, so that they have the PHB in hands and can make all che characters they like?
Wait? WAIT?

Colmarr

First Post
Assumed party of five

On a slight tangent, is there any source for the statement made earlier that the default group is 5 players + 1 DM?

That could cause some serious problems for my group, which is currently 4 players spread all over 2 countries.

Christian

Explorer
Colmarr said:
On a slight tangent, is there any source for the statement made earlier that the default group is 5 players + 1 DM?

That could cause some serious problems for my group, which is currently 4 players spread all over 2 countries.
Why would that cause a serious problem for your group? Any more than the current assumed four-PC group (for the CR calculations, etc.) causes a problem for my current five-player + DM group?

They have to assume something, and this group size is closest to the average, evidently, according to their current market research. I doubt that four- or six-PC groups will break anything--why would it?

Colmarr

First Post
Christian said:
Why would that cause a serious problem for your group?...

Because either:

• It will be difficult for us to "add a player" to our group; or

• I (as the existing DM) am hoping to convince one of the players to DM for early 4e, but he isn't willing to do so if it's gonna involve heavy prep time (which it might if he has to adjust for sub-average party numbers).

But anyway, I wasn't trying to be a troll or a griefer. I didn't suggest that it was "wrong" of WotC to have a party of 5 as the default party. Nor did I want to get into a debate about whether something would or wouldn't be a problem for my group. I was more interested in whether there was a source for the party of 5...

Last edited:

Kishin

First Post
I'm gonna go with:

Human Cleric
Eladrin Wizard
Dwarf Fighter
Elf Rogue

and either Tiefling Warlock (more likely) or Dragonborn Warlord. But having two strikers makes more sense than two leaders, so...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Colmarr said:
I (as the existing DM) am hoping to convince one of the players to DM for early 4e, but he isn't willing to do so if it's gonna involve heavy prep time (which it might if he has to adjust for sub-average party numbers).
No DM adventure adjustment necessary. Just have some or all of the players play more than one PC; or, get the DM to chuck an NPC or two into the party.

Think outside the [one player = one character] and [party size = number of players] boxes!

Lanefan

Remove ads