• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just reposting from Heath's Geekverse

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
I don't say that because anyone should consider even for a second using any OGL stewarded by WoTC ever again--that shxt is some hot poison now--but because they're going to cause some real damage with these shenanigans.

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
For me, yeah, even if they did back down, it's been ruined. Who says this won't happen again next year or in 5 years or 10 years? Turns out they didn't need to de-authorize it, just make it toxic.
If the authorizing a decades established open license sets a legal precedent for open licenses outside the world of ttrpgs, then they very much need to back down, because they're going to disrupt a lot more than their own market.

dave2008

Legend
yeah, only thing this will fix that they put new OGL with 3.0, 3.5, 4E, 5E, 5.5E(1D&D) that is stated to be irrevocable and in perpetuity without any moral clauses.
That is what they are planning to do (except the morality clause bit); however, it remains to be seen if the get there. Personally, I don't mind a morality clause that is more clearly defined by a 3rd party and with a means for review and appeal to a 3rd party.

Horwath

Legend
That is what they are planning to do (except the morality clause bit); however, it remains to be seen if the get there. Personally, I don't mind a morality clause that is more clearly defined by a 3rd party and with a means for review and appeal to a 3rd party.
appealable to 3rd party?
Guess who can bribe 3rd party better? hasbro or some small publisher.
It's a lot safer without it completely.

Remove ads