• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

jgbrowning, Rystil Arden, and Hypersmurf talk amongst themselves

gfunk

First Post
Ok, here's the scenario.

We run into a Vampire who uses his domination gaze attack on my PC who fails his Will save. Vampire orders my PC to "subdue the Cleric using the most effective means available."

Being a Wilder, I summon an astral construct and instruct it to grapple the Cleric and deal subdual damage until he goes down. Problem: Cleric has freedom of movement cast, so my construct just starts to deal subdual damage after I realize that Cleric cannot be grappled.

In the meantime, I realize that I have no pure offensive powers capable of dealing non-lethal damage so I metamorph into a Frost Giant and start beating on the Cleric for subdual damage.

However, by changing forms and types, I am now no longer a legal target for the dominate person spell.

My DM ruled that although the Vampire can issue me no further commands I still must (a) complete the last stated order and (b) not turn on the Vampire. However, once I complete (a), I may do anything I wish as long as it does not result in (b).

I know this is more of an interpretation and not a RAW question, but do you think this is fair? Any support from Sage Advice or the like?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
gfunk said:
Ok, here's the scenario.

We run into a Vampire who uses his domination gaze attack on my PC who fails his Will save. Vampire orders my PC to "subdue the Cleric using the most effective means available."

Being a Wilder, I summon an astral construct and instruct it to grapple the Cleric and deal subdual damage until he goes down. Problem: Cleric has freedom of movement cast, so my construct just starts to deal subdual damage after I realize that Cleric cannot be grappled.

In the meantime, I realize that I have no pure offensive powers capable of dealing non-lethal damage so I metamorph into a Frost Giant and start beating on the Cleric for subdual damage.

However, by changing forms and types, I am now no longer a legal target for the dominate person spell.

My DM ruled that although the Vampire can issue me no further commands I still must (a) complete the last stated order and (b) not turn on the Vampire. However, once I complete (a), I may do anything I wish as long as it does not result in (b).

I know this is more of an interpretation and not a RAW question, but do you think this is fair? Any support from Sage Advice or the like?

Thanks!
Your DM is being just a tad more generous than I would. I would rule that turning into a non-humanoid ex-post-facto does the same thing as walking into a Protection from Evil ex-post-facto, so you would complete (a) and then do nothing, waiting for more commands that you cannot validly receive, until the duration on Metamorphosis expired. This has a lot to do with the technicality of the first sentence and the nature of a target. Sort of how you can't target someone who's Invisible with a targetted spell, but once they become Invisible, and thus an invalid target, it doesn't stop the ongoing spell. I don't think that there is any definite ruling on the matter though.

Jack Simth

First Post
It's a pretty decent ruling - you have a planted compulsion (do this task, don't hurt vampire), but more can't be planted (you are no longer a valid target). The real quesiton now is "what counts as "turn on"? Can you heal your allies? Buff them up? What about the vampire's spawn (if he has any) - can you attack them?

Hypersmurf said:
What do you rule when someone casts Shillelagh?

-Hyp.

I'm assuming you mean according to damage if someone magically increased their size? I'd rule the damage would get bigger as the size gets bigger.

joe b.

Rystil Arden

First Post
jgbrowning said:
I'm assuming you mean according to damage if someone magically increased their size? I'd rule the damage would get bigger as the size gets bigger.

joe b.
nope, he means the target line where it says the target has to be nonmagical.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads