• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is TTRPGing an "Expensive Hobby"

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Thousands? How?
I've seen (and, yes, drooled over) some extremely fancy gaming tables packing 4-digit (US dollars) price tags.

Dwarven Forge (or similar) terrain can get hella costly if you're not careful...and even if you are. Ditto minis - each one might not cost much but once you've got a few hundred it adds up. Same for dice - $10 here and $10 there doesn't seem like much until you suddenly realize you've got a few hundred bucks worth in that box.

The three core books on their own are cheap by comparison....unless you're looking to play an older edition e.g. 1e, where the books and some of the adventures are getting up there in price.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, like I said: multiple copies of books, buying both digital and electronic copies of the same titles, buying everything with the D&D logo printed on the cover, multiple sets of dice, multiple subscriptions, all the minis, all the terrain... heck, Wyrmwood sells a custom wood DM screen that can cost few hundred dollars all by itself. You don't need any of it to play, but you can certainly buy it if you want.
You can easily reach $1000. Most books retail at $50 each. Have you bought 20 books at or near full price? Congrats. That’s $1000. There are currently 46 official WotC D&D 5E books or boxed sets or slip cases. A few are only $20 retail and a few are $70-85. The full line is worth roughly $2300. And that’s just the books.

Hussar

Legend
If the baseline is $0, then spending 2 grand is quite expensive
What hobby has a baseline of $0?

I'm sure they exist, but, the existence of cheaper hobbies doesn't make RPG's expensive. Note, 2 grand is EVERY SINGLE publication, PLUS online versions of the same. That's the absolute most you could spend from WotC. And, that's enough material to play for about ten years of regular play.

No one is going to go out and buy all the books at once and then buy all the digital versions as well.

If you really want value for your dollar, then the Humble Bundle is the way to go.

Right now you can get the entire Paranoia 25th Anniversary Edition for 18 bucks! That's less then a dollar a PDF!

Hussar

Legend
Well, like I said: multiple copies of books, buying both digital and electronic copies of the same titles, buying everything with the D&D logo printed on the cover, multiple sets of dice, multiple subscriptions, all the minis, all the terrain... heck, Wyrmwood sells a custom wood DM screen that can cost few hundred dollars all by itself. You don't need any of it to play, but you can certainly buy it if you want.
Again, two grand buys EVERY SINGLE 5e WotC publication, twice. Actually, that's a lie. It buys it damn near three times.

The existence of premium options does not make gaming expensive.

Hussar

Legend
You can easily reach $1000. Most books retail at $50 each. Have you bought 20 books at or near full price? Congrats. That’s $1000. There are currently 46 official WotC D&D 5E books or boxed sets or slip cases. A few are only $20 retail and a few are $70-85. The full line is worth roughly $2300. And that’s just the books.
Really? Where?

The PHB on AMazon is 26 dollars. The core rules slipcase with DM's screen is less than 100.

Where are you buying your books.

pete284

Explorer
It can be as cheap or expensive as you want. In all likelihood it will be the GM who spends the most on books. If you find a game you love it may be a one off purchase and you play that game for the rest of your life. I have players who in 30 years have spent nothing on RPGs. They turn up roll someone else's dice and have never bought a book....but many gamers do spend a lot more.

GrimCo

Adventurer
Here in the wilderness of Balkans (and probably most of east/ south east Europe), acquiring pdfs on high seas of internet is still a thing. :D

TTRPGs can be very cheap hobby, or practically free. I played PF1 in a group where no one owned any of the books. All we used is PFSRD. Dice sets can be dirt cheap, i think my brother bought pack of 20 sets for couple of euros from AliExpress. Smartphones are pretty much standard, so you don't need paper and pen, there are form fallible pdf sheets and you are good to go, you have dice roller app. I have most of my dm stuff on my phone too (I use Obsidian app). In effect, we played only using our phones and digital free resources. For minis, we used spare change, like 1-2-5 cent coins ( i have small jar full of those small coins, totaling probably only around 2-3 euros) and for larger critters, we would just cut out cardboard box to appropriate sized square.

For 5e, similar setup. We play theater of mind, so no minis. All character sheets are on shared folder in dropbox in form fillable pdfs. DM stuff is in dropbox and on Obsidian. We do have dices, but like i said, those were dirt cheap. As a group, we bought 3 core books, but they mostly collect dust on the shelf.

TTRPGs can get expensive if you like buying physical books for multiple games, gaming accessories, minis and terrains and such. But for base play, you can do it for almost 0 euros even without raiding on the high seas.

R_J_K75

Legend
It isn't expensive, and yet gamers remain some of the cheapest people I have ever encountered.
Back when the 2E AD&D Players Options Combat and Tactics came out we wanted to try it. So, one day we get together with a few of our players and we propose to start using it, and minis. Everyone agrees to give it a shot, and I told them that they could buy a mini for their character for under $2. Before I could finish my sentence, one player says, "Screw that I'll just use a penny". My first thought was "you cheap (insert your favorite expletive)". He was a habitual beer & cigarette bummer too, but that was the price we had to pay for playing at his house.

Remove ads