Is TTRPGing an "Expensive Hobby"

Clint_L

Hero
You can get the complete works of Shakespeare in a nicely bound volume for $30. You can get big art museum style books with full color, high resolution images (some of which have hefty reproduction fees) for $50. So, compared to other books, yes, $80 is expensive.

It's also expensive for the point you mention--you can spend $20 and get a complete rpg system. Heck, you can $3 to get a system like knave, print it out at home, and all you need is a set of dice. So, compared to the baseline of what the hobby can cost, $80 is expensive.

tldr and to the point of the thread: TTRPGs at their core are very cheap, but there is a consumerist segment of the fanbase that manages to make it expensive relative to its baseline cost.
There's a lot of comparing of apples and oranges here. Looking at Amazon right now, the Pathfinder 2.0 core rules book, current edition Call of Cthulhu rules, Shadowrun Basic Rules, Marvel Superheroes RPG, Vampire the Masquerade...all illustrated, hardbound rules books, all more expensive than a Player's Handbook. Some significantly so. Looking at hardbound, illustrated adventure guides, manuals, etc.: same thing - the D&D releases are generally cheaper. Compared to similar competition, D&D books are at the inexpensive end.

But yes, you can purchase a PDF of some indie games for a few bucks. And you can get the works of long-dead authors for free on your Kindle. Not super relevant, though.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm not dismissing internet concerns, for many they are very real. But I do think people over emphasize internet issues in discussions relating to VTTs. It depends on the VTT you use and how fancy you want to get, but it is possible to play online with a satisfactory experience with subpar Internet. But I understand that for many people the even minimal hassle isn't worth it.
The up-to-date-ness of one's hardware is a big concern, too....and updating it to current is (to stay on topic) a big expense.

I've got pretty good internet here but my hardware ain't exactly new, and it chokes the moment my DM tries running any of the fancy features (e.g. dynamic lighting) on roll20.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You can get the complete works of Shakespeare in a nicely bound volume for $30. You can get big art museum style books with full color, high resolution images (some of which have hefty reproduction fees) for $50. So, compared to other books, yes, $80 is expensive.

It's also expensive for the point you mention--you can spend $20 and get a complete rpg system. Heck, you can $3 to get a system like knave, print it out at home, and all you need is a set of dice. So, compared to the baseline of what the hobby can cost, $80 is expensive.

tldr and to the point of the thread: TTRPGs at their core are very cheap, but there is a consumerist segment of the fanbase that manages to make it expensive relative to its baseline cost.
Can we say this: TTRPG as a general hobby is not expensive, but a given product you might want (often including popular games you and your group want to play) can be?

Thomas Shey

Legend
The up-to-date-ness of one's hardware is a big concern, too....and updating it to current is (to stay on topic) a big expense.

I've got pretty good internet here but my hardware ain't exactly new, and it chokes the moment my DM tries running any of the fancy features (e.g. dynamic lighting) on roll20.

Well, as I've noted before, playing by VTT does not require going to all the bells and whistles. In the end it requires the communication system, and if you don't roll TotM, a way to put up maps and push around tokens. Everything else is gravy.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

Ah, yes, true.

Remove ads