• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is TTRPGing an "Expensive Hobby"

MGibster

Legend
I don't know about UK theaters, but a trip to the movies in the US is $15 to $20 per adult person for admission, plus snacks. Large popcorn and large soda runs about $15...
And this is a good illustration of how we value things. I refuse to purchase snacks at a movie theater because the prices are outrageous. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of popcorn and a soda are trivial to me, but I simply cannot spend $17 for a large popcorn and Coca-Cola.

R_J_K75

Legend
Yup. Every one of those historical wargamers I mentioned who I've ever met at a store was a more casual player than the tournament Warhammer crowd I usually played with. Easygoing and chill.

But fielding an attractive (and often historically accurate, in terms of uniform colors and markings) force was a core part of their hobby, so to them showing up for a casual game with unpainted units would be like a showing up to a fancy dinner with a stained t-shirt on, or to a casual hockey game with no skates. A big part of why they're THERE is how cool everything looks on the table, though they're often super casual about the game play and who wins or loses.
It seemed to me that in @overgeeked story someone in a "casual" game was taking it more seriously than the others. As I said I could be wrong. I'd assume that 4 people sitting around a table in a game store or in a living room is a lot different than tournament play. I'd definitely take a tournament more serious, after all the object is to win.

I can totally appreciate that the presentation of one's army in even a casual game is just as important as the actual game. I'd imagine that good portion of an actual session of a wargame would be talking about the paints, brushes, miniatures and techniques used in the finished product, giving everyone props on the great job they did and exchanging tips. I know when I painted minis for a game I was DMing it was always nice to have people praise the job I did or tell how crappy it was.

And this is a good illustration of how we value things. I refuse to purchase snacks at a movie theater because the prices are outrageous. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of popcorn and a soda are trivial to me, but I simply cannot spend $17 for a large popcorn and Coca-Cola.
And it is also worth noting people have long complained about ticket prices, especially the last few years. I only go occasionally because 1) the prices and 2) the quality. I would be much more comfortable paying half what costs

R_J_K75

Legend
Damn now I want some popcorn. Not to get too far off track but the history of how popcorn and movies came together is pretty interesting, thanks to the Great Depression. Worth a quick Google search.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I hate to be a pedant (I love it, really), but inexpensive isn't the same as trivial.
Is to me.

That said there are a few different definitions of expensive. One is how is it priced compared to similar items.

Another is how much of my budget does it take up.

The people worried that much about prices of 50 dollar d&d books are more worried about the later - how much of their budget is the purchase.

Another factor is what a person has knowledge of. I know how to access the hobby on a budget of zero dollars. The average newcomer won't know about the free resources you can get to.

You can spend money on TTRPGs but you don't have to. Can people understand the difference??

Thomas Shey

Legend
Another factor is what a person has knowledge of. I know how to access the hobby on a budget of zero dollars. The average newcomer won't know about the free resources you can get to.

Given the number of people I've known of over the years who's investment often was, well, some dice, I'm not so sure about that. They weren't GMs certainly, but neither are the majority of people in the hobby.

(This is not to say this has been typical for people I've played with, but it seems to be very common in some places).

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
One is how is it priced compared to similar items.
I like this, particularly pairing it with the original question - "is TTRPGing an expensive hobby." This leads me to ask, "what other hobbies do I enjoy and how much do I tend to spend on them?"

I googled "common hobbies" and found the following: Most popular hobbies & activities in the U.S. 2023 | Statista

Are TTRPGs more expensive than cooking/baking? (How do you price this? Solely on ingredients? On pans and mixers and pots? Do you factor in the oven/stove? The cost of renting/buying the house?)

Are TTRPGs more expensive than reading? (Probably yes, libraries can help a lot here to defray reading costs).

Are TTRPGs more expensive than pets? (Probably not. Pets plus food plus vet bills plus toys get expensive in a hurry).

Are TTRPGs more expensive than video gaming? (Probably not. A $70 game is usually what, 50 hours of enjoyment... you're probably likely to get more than a dozen sessions out of a $70 TTRPG book; also you can share your PHB with your buddies and play collaboratively - with Call of Duty each of you has to shell out for his own copy).

Are TTRPGs more expensive than outdoor activities? (Probably yes for hiking where the only costs are shoes, water, and maybe sticks. But probably not for anything else - skiing, boating, backpacking, camping, mountain biking - all of these will cost you a lot more).

Are TTRPGs more expensive than travelling? (Probably not unless your travel is VERY limited.)

Are TTPRGs more expensive than Socializing? (Probably yes, but aren't TTRPGs ALSO socializing themselves? Also, I suppose it depends on what your food/alcohol budget is when socializing vs TTRPGing)

Are TTRPGs more expensive than DIY Arts & Crafts? (Probably yes on an individual craft basis, but probably not if you're crafting weekly or biweekly).

Are TTRPGs more expensive than board games/card games? (Probably not if you're talking collectible card games or betting with your buddies in poker, probably about the same if you're talking about a wide variety of games, probably yes they are more expensive if you're talking getting a deck of Uno cards and playing the heck out of it.)

Are TTRPGs more expensive than Gardening and plants? (This one's a push depending on how much gardening you're doing and how expensive your plants are. If you get hardy perennials as a one-time expense and just keep them up, TTRPG is probably the more expensive bet. If you're re-planting your garden every season with flowers to match the holidays, it's gardening).

Are TTRPGs more expensive than cars? (Almost certainly not).

Are TTRPGs more expensive than sports/fitness? (Depends on the sport/fitness; your gym membership will probably wind up costing more long-term than a TTRPG book, and if you're into something like golf, clubs and green fees are a lot more expensive... but if you're just shelling out for a pair of shoes to jog in once or twice a year, TTRPGs cost more).

So... I think the answer is "it depends on exactly what hobbies you substitute for TTPRGs... but TTRPGs are probably not really all that expensive a hobby." Of course there are some versions of hobbies that will obviously be cheaper than TTRPGs (Uno cards, jogging, reading), but most common hobbies look like they would be a push with TTRPGs (board games, baking, arts & crafts) if not wildly more expensive (especially travel and cars, but even playing poker with your buddies might be more financially stressful).

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I like this, particularly pairing it with the original question - "is TTRPGing an expensive hobby." This leads me to ask, "what other hobbies do I enjoy and how much do I tend to spend on them?"

I googled "common hobbies" and found the following: Most popular hobbies & activities in the U.S. 2023 | Statista

Are TTRPGs more expensive than reading? (Probably yes, libraries can help a lot here to defray reading costs).

I think I could have gotten all of the classic mystery novels I wanted through interlibrary loan at my university, but I'm not sure about the local public library.

Are TTRPGs more expensive than outdoor activities? (Probably yes for hiking where the only costs are shoes, water, and maybe sticks. But probably not for anything else - skiing, boating, backpacking, camping, mountain biking - all of these will cost you a lot more).
Are we talking walking on nice trails hiking with shoes or probably wanting more supportive hiking boots for the woods? Those might be close to a hundred. You'll want at least a daypack of some sort as well.

Are TTRPGs more expensive than travelling? (Probably not unless your travel is VERY limited.)

Should we add the 50 cents (or whatever) a mile one should mentally chalk up for actual costs of driving to traveling to the games as well?

Are TTRPGs more expensive than Gardening and plants? (This one's a push depending on how much gardening you're doing and how expensive your plants are. If you get hardy perennials as a one-time expense and just keep them up, TTRPG is probably the more expensive bet. If you're re-planting your garden every season with flowers to match the holidays, it's gardening).

Are you starting off with the hoe and shovel and hose and sprinkler? Mulch and soil are suprisingly cheap but add up. (When you start getting the native plants shipped in by Fed-Ex it ads up quick even for a little space....)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads