• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Is the 2024 rules update a new edition? Argue about it here (not everywhere else)!

Is the 2024 rules update a new edition?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Of course it's all marketing, that was my entire point. I'm certainly not claiming that this sort of thing is new.

To be clear, I wasn't saying this ought to be called 6e. I was just saying that what WotC calls it needn't have anything to do with reality. Ultimately the community will sort out how to refer to this new version. I'm okay with 5.5, but I'm just one person - it'll take a year or two to shake out.
My point is that thinking that 5.5 is a name that makes sense shows that marketing will decide how the community calls calls final product.

All the Sturm und Drang over the name because folks want some old marketing BS paradigm to apply ignores the elephant in the foom that all previous labels were marketing BS.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
I voted yes but I mean hard maybe.

so far it looks like as big a change as 1e/2e or 3e/3.5

also someone else said it better in another thread but you will have to decide "this or that" and as such we need a way to lable rule sets and edition is how we normally do that for D&D

mamba

Legend
yeah, before I came back here to try to see what people thought of the playtest I didn't think anyone was taking the 'no such thing as edition any more' thing seriously at all
there is a difference between taking ‘no more editions, ever’ seriously and taking ‘1DD will be compatible with 5e and is not getting a new edition number’ seriously

there is a difference between taking ‘no more editions, ever’ seriously and taking ‘1DD will be compatible with 5e and is not getting a new edition number’ seriously
it may not be given a new number but I think we will have to call it one or else how will we be able to know what rules to be talking about?

If I ask about exhaustion in 5e there are now 2 different rules. If I ask about clerics there are two different classes, and that is before the race/heritage thing and all the feats changing and even when you get feats

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
It'll be what Wizards of the Coast decide to call it. If they print new books with a new edition number on the cover, it will be a new edition.

That doesn't seem to be their plan, however. All of the information we have gotten from WotC suggests it will be printed with "5E Compatible" on the cover, and no other mention of game editions. There is a lot of talk about a 'new edition of D&D' but it's not coming from Wizards of the Coast.

Remove ads